Trying to run 21" front on this front end...

I suspect the Harley wheel won't work with the XS trees because the brakes will not line up even with axle spacers-- too narrow.

The XS hub probably won't allow the Harley brakes to line up-- too wide.

Sportster trees will be required.

I think.

For simplicity sake, get a set of 35mm harley trees to match and find a harley 21" to run on that front end. there are hundreds of wheels on ebay that will simply just bolt on to those forks. the tapered bearing trick will let you run harley trees in the xs neck.
You need to swap the steering stem to swap to harley trees.. and fork tubes. XS fork tubes will not work. The tops of sporty and superglide fork tubes are tapered to fit the top triple tree.
I agree that swapping trees is the easiest.

mouser,
You can do it just by using 2 sets of tapered bearings. You use the xs650 races in the neck, and 1" bearings on the stem. You don't need harley brand bearings, any 1" tapered bearings will work. most people use trailer wheel bearings because they are easy to find and inexpensive.

As I said before A 1/8 inch spacer on each side of the axle and 1/8 inch spacer between the rotor and hub on each side will make up the 1/4 inch difference between the width of the forks in a Harley tree and the forks in the XS forks.
Leo

This issue is complicated! I just looked at the pic again. It looks like you have 650 trees and fork tubes, with lower legs and calipers from the harley. You could change the trees to a Sportster tree setup by changing the steering stem from an xs then get a duel disc superglide wheel to fit. Then you have duel disc and no issues with axle or rotors and 21 inch rim etc...or you could get an xs lower legs, caliper, rotor, axle, and still have to lace a 21 wheel..... I have a set of sportster trees and fork tubes if you should want to go that route.

hey, sorry for the confusion...i did have the hd forks in the yam trees just so i could bolt them onto the frame to please my eyes...but i do have both front ends complete. here's some pictures of the hd front end complete:

bb6231b9.jpg

7950181e.jpg

4e4636d0.jpg

2714cdb8.jpg

For simplicity sake, get a set of 35mm harley trees to match and find a harley 21" to run on that front end. there are hundreds of wheels on ebay that will simply just bolt on to those forks. the tapered bearing trick will let you run harley trees in the xs neck.

i've heard people refer to this trick...do you know of anywhere with DETAILED instructions...and possibly pictures??? haha

The swap is fairly easy. Get the tapered roller bearing kit for the XS650. It's the only way to get the roller bearing races to fit the XS frame. Install the races.
Get tapered roller bearings that fit the Harley stem. Install the Harley trees on the XS frame.
Leo

Yes that's the kit. There are other places to get the kit. I might search Ebay And get the least expencive kit you find. Often All Balls kits run cheaper and are a very good product. The All Balls Start at around $36 with free shipping.
Leo

Yes that's the kit. There are other places to get the kit. I might search Ebay And get the least expencive kit you find. Often All Balls kits run cheaper and are a very good product. The All Balls Start at around $36 with free shipping.
Leo

so this conversion prevents me from having to swap the steering stems? or do i still need to do that because the hd is shorter than the xs?

Can I ask the dumb question - what XS parts for the front end do you have on hand?

If you have the stock forks and front wheel, just buy a 21" rim and some spokes and relace the wheel. Done. This is BY FAR the simplest thing to do and likely the cheapest.

If you use an HD triple with HD forks and an HD wheel and HD brakes then OK, go that route. Then all you're doing is the stem conversion, which isn't cheap or simple. Some will say it is, and if there's an HD triple out there that will bolt on with a simple change of bearings so be it. But I don't think that will be the case and you're going to pay someone to swap the XS650 stem into the HD triples, for NO reason. Wheel spacers are as simple as a stack of washers if you want to do it quick and easy.

All Balls has a conversion system on their site that lists the 100's of triples that will fit the XS650 frame and the required bearings (they don't account for stem length though) and of course there isn't a single HD model listed.

Just reread your post about having both front ends, complete. Why are you even thinking about the HD forks in the first place? What benefit do they provide? They don't make it any easier to run a 21" wheel.

Run the XS front end, get an XS font hub, rotors, brake calipers, a 21" rim, spokes from Buchanan's (or MikesXS) an Avon MKII front tire (or Avon Roadrider if you want something that will actually handle) and bolt the thing together. No machine work, no bearing work, no stem swaps.

Throw the HD stuff in the scrap metal bin.

Just reread your post about having both front ends, complete. Why are you even thinking about the HD forks in the first place? What benefit do they provide? They don't make it any easier to run a 21" wheel.

Run the XS front end, get an XS font hub, rotors, brake calipers, a 21" rim, spokes from Buchanan's (or MikesXS) an Avon MKII front tire (or Avon Roadrider if you want something that will actually handle) and bolt the thing together. No machine work, no bearing work, no stem swaps.

haha, i've been back and forth with so many people now about which front end i should use. the only reason i got the hd front end is because a guy was basically giving it away and i had been misinformed that it would be easier to run a 21" with an hd front end. now that i know otherwise, i'll be looking to get rid of that front end and go the xs route. at these early stages in my "build" i'd like to put off any fab work possible. also, i was told that these akront high shouldered 21" rims would be the way to go...sound right? and will that lace to an xs front hub simply with the mikes or buchanan spokes?

switching neck bearing is way eaiser than lacing and truing a wheel. and alot less expensive.either way you go if you donrt run the HD front end I will take it off your hands! let me know if you want to sell it.

switching neck bearing is way eaiser than lacing and truing a wheel. and alot less expensive.either way you go if you donrt run the HD front end I will take it off your hands! let me know if you want to sell it.

ok, if i do go with the xs front i will absolutely be selling the hd front end. but switching the neck bearing ALONE doesnt solve my problem right? i also have to switch the steering stems, dont i? because the hd stem is too short. or does the bearing swap somehow compensate for that?

it is easy to run a 21" harley wheel in a factory Harley front end. Yamaha never offered a 21"(for the xs), whereas Harley wheels are plentiful in that size. if you want a 21 for a Yamaha, you have to build one or adapt one. a Harley wheel bolts on to that front end without any mods whatsoever.

If you use the XS trees and forks then the bearing kits are what you want.
If you use the HD trees and forks, then changing the stems is a good solid maybe. Sometimes they work fine, sometimes you need to mod a few things, sometimes you swap stems.
At this point get the xs650 bearings, you need them no matter what fork you use.
Install the races, try the HD trees. If they fit use them. If they don't use the XS650 trees and forks.
Leo

i shot my uncle (pretty well known builder in california) an e-mail asking which way he thought i ought to go...he said to stick with lacing the xs650 hub to a 21" rim and go from there to keep the front end as stock as possible. i think im going to do that. whether it's the easiest way or not, better than putting it off any longer haha. anybody know anyone that sells hubs???

To get a hub you need to get a wheel then cut the spokes to get the hub.
Leo

Back