tube bender

desmodromic

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I'm in the market for a tube bender for a frame that I want to build. Got my jig and my Notchmaster by JD2 and now I need a tube bender. I was looking at the Model 32 bender by JD2, Ive used them before and they make great products but I dont feel like sinking $600 into one plus the extra dies. What is everyone using to bend their tube?

I haven't looked at this in a while, but I'm sure the main problem is the same: The dies are the real killer, no matter what direction you go. If you want bender reviews, you might look around the tool section of Pirate 4x4. Also some good vendor specials there sometimes.

JD2 makes good benders. I'm just trying to avoid spending $600 for a bender and a die. I guess I just might have to bite the bullet for the bender

I think they were what I had decided was the best deal going, back when I was paying attention. There used to be a side by side comparison of them and two others on Pirate back in the day, but that website looks less like the place I used to frequent and more like an issue of Peterson's these days.

I have a JD M32, it's a great quality bit of gear but as others have said, dies are a killer which when you do your research will run into the same problem with all benders unless you can make them. I currently have a 1.25" die and need a 1.5" and 1.75" die for other projects, and bend tech software would also be good:)

Save your money. I've used that style of bender before. You won't be happy with your results.

Edit: Whoops, after a closer look, it is different than I thought. Ignore that, I have no real experience with this machine...

Last edited:
If you're willing to invest the time try this: www.gottrikes.com

I built my bender from his plans. I've built 3 bikes using it now. Just pay for the metal, and an air/hydraulic ram from H/F, works really nice. Downside is like mentioned, the dies cost about $200 each. It's a fair bit of work to build it, but it is cheaper in the end.

I use a JET20 Hydralic bender. I love it I was real close to getting a JD2 but it was to costly for the unit and all of the needed dies. The JET20 I got was under $400 includes a stand, 8 dies from 3/4 to 2 inches and a great warranty. I use it daily for bars, struts and frame pieces. Also it breaks down easy and doesnt need to be bolted to the floor (another reason I opted for this unit)

Drawbacks: wont do thin wall (ie: exhaust) but I do .65 and .120 (7/8ths and 1+ inchs) with zero issues daily. Also it won't bend much past a 90 degree bend, which again is more than fine for what I do....just throwing it out there.

If you're willing to invest the time try this: www.gottrikes.com

I built my bender from his plans. I've built 3 bikes using it now. Just pay for the metal, and an air/hydraulic ram from H/F, works really nice. Downside is like mentioned, the dies cost about $200 each. It's a fair bit of work to build it, but it is cheaper in the end.

I have the exact same bender. I love it.. Good dies are $$, but manrel bends are so much nicer than kinked up tubing... Stronger too! :thumbsup:

After looking at all the plans I realized that I might just have to go with the JD2 bender, due to its compact size. I wish I could make my own but space in NYC is super tight. Please keep sharing ideas and different benders. One might just save me from having to dish out a lot of money for a bender

here is my JD M32 and TN-250 notcher setup

img1170b.jpg

Back