Tube or tube-less on cast wheels?

The reason is heat. This is why tubeless tires were developed all those years ago. The side wall flexing generates heat that leads to the tube rupturing. Tubeless tires don't have this problem. Do the research, read the history of tire development.

we (me and the guys i ride with) run tubes in everything lol. we have spoke wheels and tubeless tires with tubes in em lol. no issues

you always run tubes in spoked wheels unless they are modern spoked ones like Alpinas that have 90* spokes through a flange on the rim thus making them hold air with no tubes.. Air wouldn't stay in them at all without tubes...

Even with tires that say tubeless, they are meant to be run with tubes if you run them on spoked wheels or old mags that need tubes.....my 2007 Ducati GT1000 had spoked wheels with modern sportbike tires on it....and guess what tubes....

The question was if he could use tubeless tires-yes xs650 mags don't leak. The only difference is the same casting after 79 or so had "suitable for tubeless tires" engraved into one of the spokes. There weren't a lot of tubeless tires in the late 70's, it had nothing to do with leaky castings.

And for what its worth, tubeless tires are commonly used on spoked wheels these days, allowing the use of safer tubeless tires , resulting in less weight, and heat as pointed out above.

We asked Wheel Works in Garden Grove, California (714/530-6681) to fill us in on the details. Although a spokesperson was reluctant to specify the exact ingredients, we learned that the sealant (which is applied over the inside of the spoke nipples in a two-part process) takes about 12 hours to set up. It is impervious to the stresses and chemicals normally encountered in motorcycle applications. After you discard the tube, the total weight of the wheel is actually lower than with a tube. The reduced weight and the elimination of friction means that the tire runs cooler than with an inner tube. Wheel Works charges $59 per wheel to convert your wire wheel for tubeless use. This fee also includes the installation of a tire valve stem.

If you are concerned that you need a tube because your tubeless tire or wheel is compromised, you might want to fix that. :)

John

The reason is heat. This is why tubeless tires were developed all those years ago. The side wall flexing generates heat that leads to the tube rupturing. Tubeless tires don't have this problem. Do the research, read the history of tire development.

I read the history of tire development; short book. The book noted that most of the theories were derived in Kentucky and did not apply to the rest of the world. :wink2:

you always run tubes in spoked wheels unless they are modern spoked ones like Alpinas that have 90* spokes through a flange on the rim thus making them hold air with no tubes.. Air wouldn't stay in them at all without tubes...

Even with tires that say tubeless, they are meant to be run with tubes if you run them on spoked wheels or old mags that need tubes.....my 2007 Ducati GT1000 had spoked wheels with modern sportbike tires on it....and guess what tubes....

What he said. That looks like actual experience to me; not bench racing.:thumbsup:

The thread can be closed now.:D

I read the history of tire development; short book. The book noted that most of the theories were derived in Kentucky and did not apply to the rest of the world.
The thread can be closed now.:D
"I want to be in Kentucky when the end of the world comes, because it's always 20 years behind." Mark Twain

Attachments

• flamewar.gif
    flamewar.gif
    26.3 KB · Views: 87
So.....I guess I can use a tubeless tyre on my mags then:laugh:

Seems to be hard to find a good 19" tyre with some decent width. Mostly slim front tyres out there.

For the moment I run on Pirelli MT60 (18" rear/19" front) witch I found to be a tyre that´s not good at anything:shrug: Not enough grip on gravel and really nervous from 65mph and up on tarmac. However it works well in urban traffic

Pirelli MT21 seems to have the best tyre so far: 120/80-19. It would at least performe better on gravel:thumbsup:

Attachments

• FB179688.jpg
    FB179688.jpg
    184.4 KB · Views: 103
  • FB056318.JPG
    FB056318.JPG
    278.6 KB · Views: 143
  • 160643-mc-dack-Pirelli-mt21.jpg
    160643-mc-dack-Pirelli-mt21.jpg
    111.2 KB · Views: 110
I have question. When a tire manufacturer makes a tire and you buy it, did the manufacturer know what kind of wheels you have on your bike?
The answer is no, he doesn't know. And can't care less they just want to sell tires. They make a tire that can be run with or with out a tube. Just to prevent law suits.
Most mags can run tubless, most spokes run a tube. When in doubt run a tube.

Back