Turbo Question

TXbobber

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm working on a 1980 xs650 with a carbs off of a 78. I'm trying to do something different with the bike and I have a small turbo laying around so it got me thinking maybe I could "slap it on" (yes I know it's not going to be that easy). I was just wondering if anyone has done this without converting to fuel injection. I would like to use the carbs. I was curious how I would set up the jets, how I would control how much boost I would be running, and how would run oil and cooling lines to the turbo. I'm mostly just curious about how I would do a turbo set up.

Look up Yamaha_Chop's "Sportbike Build". Lots of info there. But there won't be any "slapping it on" going down, I'm afraid. That's no Saturday afternoon matinee, for sure.

build all the manifolds and piping and get a turbo w/ a carbon thrust washer and mount one bigger carb, like a mikuni 42 or so. easy as pie, I turbo'd my 04 harley with a warner-ishi-rhb-52 turbo.
and you definately have to many questions that can be answered here, I recommend you do some research on "draw-through" vrs "blow through"

Would a free flowing petcock work or would a vacuum petcock work better? Also where would I run the vacuum line for the bov?

I've seen a few turbo project xs650s, and only one or two on finished bikes. One was carbureted.. xs650 dragbike

Cowboy3669 hasn't been around in a while though and didn't give too much details about the bike or turbo setup.

definately stay away from anything that would have a chance of restricting fuel flow, as in get ya a pingle high flow. w/o that, my turbo sporty would suck the bowl dry.

and again, you need to do some reading and researching!!!!!
you wont use a bov with a draw-through set up.
get a real world idea of what you are going to be able to do with what you have available, funds and supply of items and fab abilities. Then once thats done, you will know what you need for the system you chose.

If you don't mind me asking. How much did it cost you to turbo your sporty and did you piece it together yourself or buy a kit?

How did you run the oil and coolant lines to the turbo? Would that big clear hose have sometime to do with it? Also what is the A/R on the turbo? And about how much did the set up cost? I have a turbo laying around in my garage that I've been thinking about using but from what I've seen it may be too big (Mitsubishi Starion turbo) What do yall think?

I'm not running coolant lines. The feed line for the oil comes off the right cover at the outlet from the filter.The return (drain) from the turbo goes to a small electric pump, then is returned to the engine at a fitting in the cases above the trans. Not sure of cost most of the parts were already in my stash of parts. Not sure on the A/R. I think the Starion turbo would be to big.

Fuel requirements are the easy part. Gravity petcock to a electric fuel pump, then to a regulator. As someone else said you will also need a boost controller. I have had the best luck with Aerochargers. A lot less plumbing. There self contained oil.

I'm not running coolant lines. The feed line for the oil comes off the right cover at the outlet from the filter.The return (drain) from the turbo goes to a small electric pump, then is returned to the engine at a fitting in the cases above the trans. Not sure of cost most of the parts were already in my stash of parts. Not sure on the A/R. I think the Starion turbo would be to big.

What kind of pump is it? Do you know where I could get one?

Are you running a intercooler? Or is the long straight pipe pretty much your intercooler?

Back