XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I have an 83 special thats stock
starts cutting out around 2500 rpm when I use the turn signals
Could the coil be the cause?
will just about any coil work from a twin cylinder
I have acces to a 650 with points and a 1980 400 special

Since this started I have
replaced the flasher and eliminated the accesorry lighting device and have cleaned every contact for the turn signals

More likly a charging problem, Put a digital voltmeter on the battery & check the voltage at 2500 RPM. It should be at least 13.2 volt's, and that's a little low. If the voltage is good, check ALL the connector's for corrosion, even in the headlight. And the kill switch, a known area for corrosion. Sounds like not enough voltage getting to the coil, and any bad, loose, corroded connections will make the coil loose it's umph>

even when it cuts out I still have 14 volts or better
my tester has lights on it to show the voltage
13 volts at idle
at about 1500 rpm the light for showing 14 volts flashes when I have the turn signal on
at 2000 rpm even tho the motor cuts out with the signals on it still shows a steady14 volts

check turn signals connections both power and grounds the two circuits shouldn't be interacting but seems they are :wtf: the coil itself doesn't use a ground per se so check igniter ground, turn canceller ground, and check that ground to front signals is good to main wiring loom ground

Cancelling unit is gone
I did notice today when I unplug the turn signals from either side that it still misses
Meaning I completely unplugged the left and then the right with no differance

Back