turn signal disassembly

winguyjo

XS650 Member
Reaction score
my computer won't recognise my camera, so i can't upload pics, but i'm sure you will know what i am talking about...

the turn signal housing is retained to the turn signal "shaft" by some sort of pin. i figured that you just depress that pin and the assembly would come apart. that doesn't seem to be the case, or maybe these "pins" are just frozen solid ?

how do these assemblies come apart (1981 xs650 special).

thanks in advance.

I don't think there is a way. I studied, poked, pried and got no results. Plus side for me is I cut the stalk off right at the housing end and the stalk stub, pinned in, is deep enough to thread so I can mount the shell, minus the stalk, for a "short effect" signal.

I don't think there is a way. I studied, poked, pried and got no results. Plus side for me is I cut the stalk off right at the housing end and the stalk stub, pinned in, is deep enough to thread so I can mount the shell, minus the stalk, for a "short effect" signal.
thanks for they reply. i wish i had a junky spare one that i could dissect to see how they are put together. hopefully someone knows. i have plenty to do on this bike in the meantime.

No, they don't come apart. That pin is driven in somehow. I did have one fall out one time and fixed it by installing a small sheet metal screw. Good, used signals are pretty cheap on eBay, might want to get a few.

No, they don't come apart. That pin is driven in somehow. I did have one fall out one time and fixed it by installing a small sheet metal screw. Good, used signals are pretty cheap on eBay, might want to get a few.
o.k., thank you.

o.k., thank you.
I have had a busy day but did want to reply more completely. I have nice original turn signals but I do want a more compact look. I cut the stalk. The hollow stud can be shortened to refit the shell. The remaining stub inside the shell is more than 1/4 inch and plenty deep for cutting threads to mount only the abreviated shell. I hope this helps you. Respond or PM me if you want futher info that I might have. Cheers.
16964648524394476864212235907150.jpg
16964648898995013511078339648357.jpg

thanks kevin ... i actually have 2 issues going on ... front left turn signal housing damaged, and rear left turn signal has a sporadic ground due to looseness between housing and shaft. i am thinking i should be able to work around that looseness by putting in a separate ground wire, but the damaged front signal will have to be replaced. when i get the replacement i can dissect the damaged one to see how they are put together at the factory. good, clean fun !

Back