Turn signal issue

imcgyver

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hello, I have a 81 xs650H and have a interesting turn signal issue, both right and left flash but you have to hold the switch to the right or left depending on direction, as soon as to release the switch to recenter lights go off instead of staying on, after a while it will work normally. any ideas?
Thank you for your time and response.
Ron

I've heard that the relay that shuts off your turning signals after a certain distance traveled can do this, and natural wear and tear on your controls would also be expected.

Hello got out a schematic troubleshoot from the auto cancel unit and found the reed switch in the speedo shorted out, so I disconnected the auto cancel unit and the signals work properly (manually), so no more auto cancel, it worked like it was supposed to until now.
switch is clean (done last year)
Thank you for the resonses.
Ron

Its best that the auto cancelling device is disconnected. Its actually a safety hazard.........it cancels at random times, and can't be trusted. Manually shutting off the flashers is the safe way to go.

Hello, I have a 81 xs650H and have a interesting turn signal issue, both right and left flash but you have to hold the switch to the right or left depending on direction, as soon as to release the switch to recenter lights go off instead of staying on, after a while it will work normally. any ideas?
Thank you for your time and response.
Ron
I have an '81 650H also and recently had problems with the right signal not working.
You could hear the original stock flasher click though.
After taking apart and cleaning the switch, making sure the 3 little solder pots were holding, testing the bulbs, & still not working right, I contend that the flasher 3rd prong cancellation circuit is a 2-stage grounding situation. Try this:
After you push the switch either way and then let off back to center, TAP the switch straight in VERY QUICKLY. I've gotten my old 3 prong flasher working again by doing this procedure.

Back