Turn signal/ running lights?

XSNate

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Are the turn signals also supposed to be running lights on a 79 special? Mine only flash with turn signal. I would like them to be on all of the time then flash when needed. Is there a mod?

Hi Nate,
nah, signals only.
Front signals on an XS1100 Standard have twin filament running/signal lights and will bolt right on so all you need to do is run another blue wire but the bastards are square instead of round.
You can modify your existing signals by swapping their single filament bulb holders for twin filament bulb holders. If you can't find just the bulb holders you can buy two el-cheapo trailer lights and rob the holders out of them.
Note:- The bulbs in trailer lights are usually 22W/6W and you'll need 27W/6W to work the stock flasher.

then you need smaller diameter wires to fit thru the hole in the stalk to power the two separate filaments of the bulb

Well I might look into adding some small led lights somewhere on the bike. I seem to be invisible at night. I feel that more light would help?

even with extra lighting ride like you ARE invisible because if you don't they WILL get you, and the damn deer don't care either

http://www.superbrightleds.com/more...-universal-motorcycle-electronic-flasher/193/
this works awesome. I don't run leds, but I only have turns on the rear, so not enuf load to trigger a conventional flasher. Good flash rate, nice and brite, even with engine off.
I might have 25 watts of draw total between flasher indicator and rear flashers.
I think each bulb in the stock system pulled 27Watts? That's over 50 per side.
When I had a conv flasher (tridon 522), It would only flash off idle.

Back