Turn signal switch - How do you put it back together?

Furious D

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Anyone have a pic on how the turn signal switch is assembled? I took mine apart to repair a broken wire and cant figure out how it goes back together.

The one part I cant figure out is there is a small plastic block about 3/8 " long that has a hole to the side that looks like it would be mounted somehow but it fell out when I pulled the control assembly apart it fell out so I did not see where it came from.

This is from my 72. Does it look anything like that.

full

full

pics make it a hell of a lot easier to help you. And really you don't even offer to explain what year or model, (between 70-83), yours is. mmmmmmm let me guess:laugh:

It is probably the canceler block.
When you push straight in on the selector it resets the switch to the middle.
It just lays on top iirc.

Furious did one of the wires come loose at the solder connection on the switch?
If you resolder you can't leave the heat on it long or it melts the switch housing.
I done 2 succesfully and ruined one.

I'm getting around for the day so if the vet doesn't derail me I'll try to get you a pic in an hour or so.

I figured it was something to do with the canceler. I kept trying to find a place to mount it since it has a hole in it, Maybe I should of tackled this job before I drank 6 beers. :confused:

Here is a pic I took of it:

IMG_3006.jpg

the plastic block is the part in question.

I wont be able to mess with it for a few days. I'm off camping with the kids for couple days. The original plan was to take the XS /sidecar but I can see that I am going to have to get a trailer as well to carry everything we need.

Here it is assembled. I removed the button selector.
Your plastic block goes on top of the plastic block in the switch holding it down.
The metal retainer goes over your plastic block and is held in with one of the short screws.
Clear as mud, eh?
Hope you have a BIG time on the camping trip.

Attachments

• XS650 left switch 83 HS (2).jpg
    XS650 left switch 83 HS (2).jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 86
  • XS650 left switch 83 HS (1).jpg
    XS650 left switch 83 HS (1).jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 95
Back