Turning signals in NY

tbone1980

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Does anyone know for sure what the rule are for people who have bikes in NY about passing inspection without having signals installed? I thought that I have read if the bike was made before 1985 you don't need them but I just wanted to make sure that is true. I also had someone else tell me that if the bike came with signals originally then you have to have them on the bike. Thank you for your input!

Ok so it looks like I am fine not running turning signals seeing that my bike is an 82 and the law states that you need them if the bike was made in 85 or later. Thank you for that link. I didn't want to show up for inspection and feel like a fool when they tell me that I needed signals!

Hmm, I just read Delaware and it says signals are not required. But when I went thru inspection they are required. And must have 4 in of illuminated area. They even show you the form with all the stuff before hand so you know what you need. Also 3 red reflectors (rear) and 2 amber (front). High beam/low beam.

I just called the DMV and they said the same thing. Signals front and rear unless they came without them from the factory. So you might want to call your DMV to double check.

I would be suspect of those "laws." Many a ticket has been written in NC and SC for not having turn signals. The law in both states requires that if the bike was manufactured new with turn signals it must have working turn signals with a cut off date of 1973 in SC but the AMA data mentions none of that.

Of course, enforcement is lax in most areas but be very afraid near the beaches.

So I looked on the dmv website and found the statement below.

"Approved lights, including headlight, taillight, stop lamp and license plate lamp, at least one red reflector on the rear and directional signals if the motorcycle was originally equipped with directionals or is a 1985 or newer model."

This is frustrating. So I now need to find a way to put signals on my build which i wasn't planning on doing. My own fault. Do you think I can get away with using lights like this for signals?

http://www.radiantz.com/index1.html?c10.html&1

I would ask how big they need to be. Call your DMV and make sure. If you put them on and get pulled over or have inspection, and they are no good, then you wasted money. Lowbrow has some nice Bullet tail light/ marker light dual filament that can be used for turn signals. I just ordered a pair.
I'm putting them on my hardtail and they should look good. Signals are really a good idea though. If you get hit, even if it's not your fault, and don't have them or they are not legal size, in my state then you are at fault for not having required equipment.

Just get historic tags, then it wont even have to go through inspection... thats what Im doin. No directionals, no mirrors, no horn (although I may try to hide one somewhere), no rear fender, loud ass pipes!

I emailed the Delaware DMV this morning about the required equipment. This was just sent to me:

Thank you for your questions, I’ll try to answer as much as possible as we do not list every detail for motorcycles or any other vehicle for that matter. The state of Delaware follows title 21 of criminal and traffic law and also title 49 of the Federal code. There is also of course an inspection manual for our employees to use as a guide.

Fenders- both front & rear

Headlight – High & Low beams not mounted above 54” nor lower than 24”

Tail lamp – emit red light to 500 feet, not mounted above 72” nor lower than 20”

Stop lamp – visible from 100 ft in normal sunlight, must be activated by front and rear brakes if manufactured after Jan. 1, 1969 and must have 8 sq inches of lighted lense.

Plate light – white light covered to not show to the rear

Reflectors – prior 1976 one red to the rear, 1977 and newer are required to have 5, two amber on front sides, two red on rear sides and one red to the rear, must be a minimum of 4 sq inches of reflective area

Turn signals – required on all since 1974 with a minimum of 3.5 sq inches of luminous lense

Horn – audible to 200 feet under normal conditions, button on handle bars as close to handgrip as practical

Mirror – at least one, so placed to ascertain the presence of vehicles approaching

Muffler – baffled (currently sound testing is under a moratorium)

Tires – must have a minimum of 2/32” of tread

Footrest or pegs – two

Chain or belt – must be tight and covered

Speedometer

Plate - not mounted below 12” from the ground and horizontal, must not be in front of rear axle

Christopher K. Cox

Vehicle Services Manager

Division of Motor Vehicles

Office - 302-744-2525

Fax - 302-739-2042

chris.cox @ state.de.us

So I would really check the actually law makers, not a website. Websites don't pay the ticket you get.

Back