twin disk model

staggers

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
hey all,

Newbie here. I recently bought an 80 model with twin disk front end (Australian model) and was wondering was the twin disk a factory option? or did all the Australian delivered 80 models come with twin disks??
I need to completely rebuild both front and rear disk brakes, master cylinders, callipers and all! are they worth rebuilding? do the twin front disks have much more power than the single setup? obviously they must be slightly better.
I weighing up weather to just put a modern front end on or not. I do really like the classic look though.

cheers

hey all,

Newbie here. I recently bought an 80 model with twin disk front end (Australian model) and was wondering was the twin disk a factory option? or did all the Australian delivered 80 models come with twin disks??
I need to completely rebuild both front and rear disk brakes, master cylinders, callipers and all! are they worth rebuilding? do the twin front disks have much more power than the single setup? obviously they must be slightly better.
I weighing up weather to just put a modern front end on or not. I do really like the classic look though.

cheers

North American bikes came with a single front disc, while European bikes came with twin front discs (the discs were smaller in diameter than NA discs). I have no knowledge of Australian bikes.

Yes, of course they will be more powerful than a single disc, but the negative part is that they double the unsprung weight, which will affect how the front end handles.

Here are a few pictures of another way to go. The Brembo 4 piston calipers give powerful braking, and you only need 1 disc on the front.

Attachments

• Front caliper mounted.JPG
    Front caliper mounted.JPG
    171.1 KB · Views: 248
  • Rear caliper mounted.JPG
    Rear caliper mounted.JPG
    188.8 KB · Views: 226
Back