Twisted Sister maybe, twisted bolt for sure.

Superior77

'77xs650
Reaction score
I am changing the shocks on my '77 and I twisted the upper shock mount bolt off. Not sure how to proceed next. Do I need to drill this out and replace with a regular bolt? Suggestion please.

Attachments

• IMG_20110903_153111.jpg
    IMG_20110903_153111.jpg
    295.1 KB · Views: 74
Many years ago I broke off the end of the shock stud on my '77 while installing a new set of shocks. There was still enough stud there to carry the full load of the shock but nothing left for the nut. In a pinch I drilled a hole in the stub and tapped in threads for a 1/4" bolt. The bolt with a washer kept the shock on the stud. I left it that way for a very long time, maybe 5,000 miles, but was never comfortable knowing that it was only a 1/4" bolt holding things together.

For a couple years now I have been working on a complete rebuilding of the bike. I drilled out that broken shock stud completely and inserted a shouldered metric stud from the backside and welded it in place from both sides.

I bought the stud from McMaster Carr. I had to go with a 10mm x 1.25 pitch stud, I could not find any any 10mm shouldered studs with 1.50 pitch like the original shock stud. The diameter of the shaft that the shock slips onto is 1/2" dia. which is a little smaller than the original metric stud. It is a solid repair, I just have to keep track of my nuts!

Good luck, it is a real pain in the a__.

All is well, for now. There was all of the stud left and just the threads broke off. I had purchased a 110w wire feed flux core welder a month ago. I have never welded before and hadn't even taken it out of the box yet. My neighbor came over, helped me set it up and gave me a quick 2 minute lesson. Since the stud holds the shock, I was able to welded the threaded part back on, which only holds the shock on the stud. Maybe not the best weld but it was my first. I'll try to practice some more before the next one. Here it is.

Attachments

• weld.jpg
    weld.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 74
The same thing happened to me. For no apparent reason it just snapped. The right side nut cane off with no problems but the left broke off. I had enough threads to get a nut and washer on though. Atleast you got it fixed. Its weird though how them just snap for no reason.

Oft repeated but valuable info; when loosening an ancient nut or bolt, as soon as it's loose and a few times during the trip off, stop and tighten it a turn or so then go back to loosening. If it really doesn't want to turn try tightening before loosening even a 16th or a turn will make it go easier. A wad of rust will jam up and start to gouge into the good metal, going the other way a bit smooths things out. Plenty of PB blaster also. Good job on getting the threaded section welded on.

Back