Two close calls in one trip.

JP50515

XS650 Junkie
Reaction score
Alright so to make a long story somewhat shorter I will begin like this. On my way to work today (after about 20 miles of riding) I exited the highway onto a very long exit ramp that loops down under MN 35W (cliff road if anyone is familiar) at the apex of the big turn around there is a side street where traffic cuts across the side of the road I was on to turn left going the other way. Entering the turn I saw a semi that was barely rolling. Couldn't tell if he was just starting to move or slowing to a stop, either way he had a stop sign and I had the right of way....Regardless he pulled out as I was entering the turn at about 45-50 mph. I quickly downshifted with little hope of pulling off any type of miracle. The entire road was literally blocked by this dumba$$. I hit the front brakes mid turn (which is already a horrible idea) held on for dear life with the left hand as the front wheel started to skid and howl and let off on the right since I was about to highside and launch myself into him. Luckily he realized what was happening and honest to God must have floored it across the intersection. I missed his back end and the ditch by about a foot on both sides....and kept from putting the bike down by a hair. Not only all of that but immediately afterwards my idle started to act like my atu springs were worn and started rocketing. I was a block from work at this point and pulled into the parking lot to find that my idle adjuster screw had tightened itself and increased my idle.

Near hit # 1 avoided.

On the way home all I could think about was that semi and how my clutch makes a metalic clank every time i shift into first and second. I was listening to my rpms and felt as though my bike was working way too hard to keep up with traffic. (like my clutch isn't fully engaging or something) Anyway going down the highway when suddenly the idle starts to climb again. Well sure enough I reach down to adjust it and the dude 3 cars ahead slams on the brakes for some idiot who cut him off. This is the exact situation that happened when I hit the back of an Audi on my shadow this spring and I'll be damned if I fall for that trap again. I immediately realized I couldn't stop in time so I took the shoulder. 300 ft ahead of course was a constructions sign blocking the shoulder. I had a gap barely big enough to take but was entering stop and go traffic. So I had to pull a california rider stunt and swerve hard back into traffic and split the lanes until I could fine a gap big enough to slow down in. I got lucky no one was merging and pissed off about 5 people. Sure enough when I do finally get "safely" into a lane my idle is still sky rocketing. My issue the entire time was that i couldn't shift. As soon as I pulled the clutch the rpms jumped so high that the gears would just grind if I tried shifting.I was weaving in and out of stop and go traffic at about 60 mph but was able to pull away from it all unscathed. However, I'm very glad what happened this spring didn't happen again today...you can't get lucky every time and I thought for sure I used all my good luck up with the whole semi incident on the way to work.

First thing I did when I got home was steal the idle adjuster screw's spring off my uninsured xs that sits in my garage. Hope to never have this issue again.

I have never been so relieved to make it home with everything in one piece before. I decided to walk away from the bike for the rest of the night and just chill with the lady, paint and wrench on my new fork brace and call it good. Still deciding on whether or not to take the truck tomorrow.

P.S. Sorry for the essay

Last edited:
JP...,

Well, we all do what you did sometimes. You were thinking about and focusing on the problems with the bike, trying to wrench it as you rode, and you lost a few milliseconds of recognizing a bad situation developing. Not being critical, just a heads up for the rest of us. Sometimes even just thinking about something other than the traffic and riding can lead to a near miss, or worse.

i was switching to reserve on my suzi, of course in traffic. that bugger is hard to find without killing it at 15 mph. Same thing- someone slammed there brakes, and I nearly ate the car infront of me.

moral of the story is that anything can and will happen whether it be a mike malfunction, another driver, you not paying enough attention or a combination of all of those plus many more. I dodged a bullet....don't ride your bike until all the bugs are worked out....however I will say this one kinda just popped up as I was riding ha

I may be negative but as a new rider I assume everyone is out to run me over and I've seen a few people cut across three or four lanes in slow motion to end up where I was sitting a few seconds ago.

But I do find myself diagnosing the bike while I ride. After reading this I need to stop that bad habit unless I'm on a back road just for the purpose.

I keep a large safety zone in front of me, i.e. I don't tail gate. You don't know what the idiot driver in front of you is going to do. That gives me more reaction time if the car ahead does a panic stop. Sometimes while I'm driving, a car will pull into my safety zone in front of me, so I just back off until I once again have my safety zone.

Even at stop lights, I always leave one car length while stopped.

Being super defensive...............keeps me alive and out of hospitals.

Oh yeah, another safety tip.................put the best brakes you can on your bike. While on the safety topic..............guys that run bikes with no front brake I consider have a death wish.

Back