Two pooched reg/rect. What gives?

Maineiac

XS650 Member
Reaction score
I've fried two reg/rect. over the last two weeks, which have been housed within a tc bros. electrics box. I'm thinking that the damn things are overheating inside the box? Could something else be killing them? These were junkyard items, so I have a brand new one on the way.

I have read replies from very wise men on this board and the consensus is that the REG/REC needs to be exposed so it can be air cooled. Yes, something else could be killing it too.

You fired them because they were in the box. It's that simple. Yes. something else may have contributed, but a reg/rec in a box will fry sooner rather than later.

Mine is mounted just above the battery box, on the frame. Works good there.
You can run, as I have, a TCI, with stock size battery, reg/rec and keep a clean, open look without usinf an "oil can".
Bike and Pat 016.jpg

The reg/rec gets very warm, almost to warm to touch. Thats with it out in the open with plenty of air flow. How imagine how hot it gets when you put it inside of a can. Heat is the enemy of electrical.
Being junk yard parts won't matter when you cook then in a can.
Mount them solidly to the frame, out in the air. the good airflow keeps them cool the solid mount pulls heat out of the reg/rec into the frame, further cooling the reg/rec.
Leo

I figured as much, just didn't want to spend an afternoon re-routing the wire harness and drilling holes ;) Thanks for the responses!

Back