Two Wire Brake light confusion! H4 7" MikesXS Headlight install? Turn signal help.

R33Skyline

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok so here is the run down. I recently cut my whole wiring harness to clean everything up because the previous owner did a hack job and my bike wouldn't start. So I rewired everything started the bike and to my surprise the bike started up. I followed the factory harness for a 1981 Yamaha Xs650 which is the year I have. So now the issues. I am having. I bought a TC Bros Model A Side mount tail light and cant seem to figure out the wiring on it. Here is the tail light that I bought. http://www.tcbroschoppers.com/headl...mount-tail-light-license-plate-bracket-2.html. When the bike key is in the on position, there is no running light, when the rear brake is pressed the bottom part lights up. The front I know why doesn't work because of a bad switch which is ordered from MikesXS and will be here Wednesday. Does anyone have a diagram I can try and follow or pictures that I could go by?

The next thing I am having confusions on is the headlight that I got from MikesXS which is the 7" H4 Halogen headlight. http://www.mikesxs.net/product/09-0074.html From the factory service manual it looks like two yellows get connected from the harness (Headlight dimmer switch and Reserve lighting unit), The green from the headlight dimmer switch, and the black to the ground. The wires for the H4 Headlight are different color, but the same plug type so I just followed how that was set up and nothing. Is there a way to diagnose this? Does the headlight only come on when the bike is on? etc.

Last but not least, the original turn signals will not work brand new just purchased from MikesXs. Everything according to spec. My last option will be to find and order a new harness but I wanted to try this project myself which ended up costing more in the long run :banghead: lol. Thanks a lot.

Ok so here is the run down. I recently cut my whole wiring harness to clean everything up because the previous owner did a hack job and my bike wouldn't start. So I rewired everything started the bike and to my surprise the bike started up. I followed the factory harness for a 1981 Yamaha Xs650 which is the year I have. So now the issues. I am having. I bought a TC Bros Model A Side mount tail light and cant seem to figure out the wiring on it. Here is the tail light that I bought. http://www.tcbroschoppers.com/headl...mount-tail-light-license-plate-bracket-2.html. When the bike key is in the on position, there is no running light, when the rear brake is pressed the bottom part lights up. The front I know why doesn't work because of a bad switch which is ordered from MikesXS and will be here Wednesday. Does anyone have a diagram I can try and follow or pictures that I could go by?

The next thing I am having confusions on is the headlight that I got from MikesXS which is the 7" H4 Halogen headlight. http://www.mikesxs.net/product/09-0074.html From the factory service manual it looks like two yellows get connected from the harness (Headlight dimmer switch and Reserve lighting unit), The green from the headlight dimmer switch, and the black to the ground. The wires for the H4 Headlight are different color, but the same plug type so I just followed how that was set up and nothing. Is there a way to diagnose this? Does the headlight only come on when the bike is on? etc.

Last but not least, the original turn signals will not work brand new just purchased from MikesXs. Everything according to spec. My last option will be to find and order a new harness but I wanted to try this project myself which ended up costing more in the long run :banghead: lol. Thanks a lot.

The taillight you bought ony has 2 wires, so that means the body of the light has to be grounded. XS650 is not like a car, where any metal is a good ground. The XS650 relies on runing a black ground wire through the harness which is then connected to a good bare metal frame/engine ground. You seem to have the brake light wire connected to the bottom light, which is wrong. On your light, one wire is for the taillight and one is for the brake light. You must supply a third wire to provide the ground.

Yes, the headlight only comes on after the engine starts.

The stock turn signals need to have a ground wire supplied to them. That's normally done by having a black wire connected to the turn signal mounting nut.

The taillight you bought ony has 2 wires, so that means the body of the light has to be grounded. XS650 is not like a car, where any metal is a good ground. The XS650 relies on runing a black ground wire through the harness which is then connected to a good bare metal frame/engine ground. You seem to have the brake light wire connected to the bottom light, which is wrong. On your light, one wire is for the taillight and one is for the brake light. You must supply a third wire to provide the ground.

Yes, the headlight only comes on after the engine starts.

The stock turn signals need to have a ground wire supplied to them. That's normally done by having a black wire connected to the turn signal mounting nut.

Oh ok that makes sense now. I was thinking beings the light is mounted on a plate to the rear axle nut that it would be grounded through that. So all I have to do is just run a ground through the inside of the light out the back and out the designated ground wire that I have in the harness. I routed a black ground thinking that you would need it but when I didn't see it I just thought it would ground itself out which makes sense.

That would be the reason why the headlight isnt working lol. Wish they wouldn't make it like that but I guess its to hold the load of the battery, beings Xs650 aren't the greatest in holding power lol.

I will give that a try and see. I am guessing the bike has to be running in order for the signals to work as well lol.

Back