TX Motor puzzle-No cam...256 motor...rephase maybe....lost..help!

da evil one

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Hello all. Gotta bounce this one off you guys. I aquired a 73 tx that I'm in the process of building. The guy before me was on the way to building it but I never met him because the guy I got it from was owed money by the dude building it so I got it from him. No, its not hot. I know where the guy lives. Anyway, I can only go by what I've got. Head was honed and the micrometer says it needs a one-over job. It had no pistons,cam, or tensioner,oil feed tubes,points covers and some other stuff. Got the carbs and most of the motor. Heres the question: I'm thinking rephase but was debating it because of the cam cost. NOW I realize I have no cam and I've got to buy one anyway. Now, I've been told that the 256 crank cannot be rephased and in order to rephase a 256 motor I've got to go with a 477 crank and pistons which will fit. Should I go with a rephased 256 or 477 cam with this setup if I go rephase? What year crank would work best for a 256/477 swap? If I decide not to go rephase and just decide to go with a stock top end and call it a day where can you even find a 256 cam? Does anybody have an idea how much a 477 crank costs? I'm sure I've overlooked other things too here. Help!! I need to get my head around what I need to do and what it will cost so I can weigh the options! Thanks in advance fellas.

By the time you nickel and dime yourself to death buying all of the missing parts to complete the engine you have, you could have just bought a running 447 engine for less.
And for the rephase questions, contact punkskalar, he does it all.

By the time you nickel and dime yourself to death buying all of the missing parts to complete the engine you have, you could have just bought a running 447 engine for less.
And for the rephase questions, contact punkskalar, he does it all.

Good point :thumbsup:

I used to live in Marietta, went to school there. Im sure you could find a decent 447 engine and use it for a rephase core...

Need anything else, just ask or email me. Thats what I am here for.

Hugh
HughsHandBuilt@gmail.com

Are you sure it's a 256 crank? You say the head was honed. You mean the cylinders don't you.
If you go with a 447 crank you will need to go with a 447 cam, chain and tensioner.
As others have said getting a complete 447 engine, 74 or later, will be easier. Maybe less than $100 I got one for free a few years ago. Even one that don't run will be ok. Your going to tear it down for the rephase. As long a it's all there.
The 750 kit Mike's sells will fit the 447 engine.
Hugh is vey good at what he does. He can tell you all you need to know.

I have a complete 256 motor, as well as several 447 motors from complete w/good compression, to a good runner with new rings, seals etc. PM me if you are interested. I'm close enough for you to come get one. :)

John

Back