TX500 rear wheel on XS2/TX650

GabeAWW

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
So, I just bought this sweet 1972 XS2 and I’m working on putting it back in tip top shape.

The previous owner put a 16” wheel on the back, from a later year special I assume, and I wanted to put it back to an 18. So like anyone, I went on eBay and bought the most reasonably priced 70s Yamaha 18” wheel I could find. It was off a TX500, but looked similar so I figured it was the same as an XS650 one. Well, as I found out trying to put it on, it’s not.

So my question is this: can I swap the hub from my 16” 650 rim to the 18” 500 rim? It seems to have the same amount of spokes so I figured it would work. Just wanted to check and see if anyone had any experience.

Thanks!

Yes, you can swap rims, or you can adapt the 500 wheel to work. The 500 wheel has a couple things going for it already. It takes the same axle size and has the same sprocket mount. The sprocket mount is also a cush drive, mounted in rubber pucks. But, the width of the hub doesn't match up so some re-spacing is required. The 500 sprocket is way too big for 650 use but is just the right thickness to make the needed spacers out of.

Back