TX650 pops out of gear

Guess I better remove clutch to see a bit more.
If you're just removing the clutch to find the spring bit... I'd pull the sump screen first. Odds are that's where it's at. Be a shame to pull the clutch apart only to find it at the sump later. :doh:

Remember, you have two large drain plugs, one on the sump plate, one farther back under the tranny area. Pull and check them both. You usually pull both anyway when changing oil because doing just one doesn't get all the oil out. Most will come out the first plug you pull, but a couple more ounces will come out the second.

I'm not really sure you'd call it a "cartridge". The bottom sump filter is sort of a rectangular box and there's a small semi-round filter in the right side cover. Both are wire screen or mesh and made to be rinsed clean with solvent and re-used. The bottom filter has a tendancy to tear out or rupture. New replacements can do the same thing so I've gotten away from buying them. Instead I just patch the old ones up with JBWeld .....

MZHYtbR.jpg

Is the cartridge oil filter standard on this bike...I am not sure it is.
No, not standard. Sump and side are both cleanable screens from the factory, but there's alternatives out there. Best to pull 'em and see what you have..

Ok, I have worked it out though not taken apart....The drain plug I used is the rear one.
The front one is I believe on the sump plate, but this one has a new looking plate with an external modern cartridge filter on the underside which is a modification.
I am not sure whether to take the sump plate off or not.

If you have an aftermarket spin on filter there, you don't need to pull the sump plate for an oil and filter change... but if you want to find the spring bit, I'd strongly suggest you pull it to have a look.
You could cut the filter open first. If it's in there, you won't need to pull the sump plate.

I will take the sump plate off anyway having come so far, judging by how nasty the rear plug was when I drained it will be worth looking inside anyway if only to get a clean rag in and clear any gunge.
Whether I find that pesky little hook off the spring who knows it could be laying anywhere I guess, fortunately the main part of the spring was laying just under the clutch in the casing.
I suppose the good news is at least it is fairly certain why the old girl was popping out of gear.

Ok, I have worked it out though not taken apart....The drain plug I used is the rear one.
The front one is I believe on the sump plate, but this one has a new looking plate with an external modern cartridge filter on the underside which is a modification.
Sounds like PO has fitted a spin-on filter like the Smedspeed one fitted on my XS. There are versions available from other places as well. See this: http://www.xs650.com/threads/hello-from-new-member.55057/page-2#post-598561

Bought it because I think the fine paper filter will do a much better job of cleaning the oil than the wire mesh original. Makes changing the oil & filter more straightforward too.

Last edited:
Rick does them on an exchange basis. So once he has your sump, he checks it's ok and send's you one that's already been done. About three or four days.

Back