TX650 seat on a XS...

First off a 75 is a xs650b there isn't a 75 tx650. From what I can tell on the parts fiches the same seat was used from 74 (tx650a) through 77. If the seat is from a 74 tx650a I would think it would be a direct swap. If it is from a 73 tx650 you might have to get creative.

TX750 is 73-74 only and you are right, they don't fit the XS650. 73 TX650 seats don't fit well on 74 or later frames. 74 TX650A (which is nearly identical to the 75 XS650B) seats fit up through 79 standards and can be made to fit 78-79 specials.

How badly don't they fit, not even close? I'm looking at one on eBay now for my 1973 TX650. - - -

Hi louis,
US$99.99 for an ugly HBKQ seat with a torn cover, dubious condition foam and a plastic base that most likely won't fit without major surgery?
Plus the arm & leg it'll cost for delivery to Australia?
You gotta be truly in love with that seat to lay out that much money.
You can make your own from scratch for far less expense.

Very good point Fred, I agree. I'm being lazy and making my own seat and having it upholstered professionally would be a far better option than that seat.

However, some food for thought, often an American/Canadian's opinion on an items value differs greatly from an Australian's. Things are extremely expensive here:

- can of coke $3.50
- candy bar $2.50 - $3.00
- 1977 XS650 in crap condition, no title and rust - $6000

So sometimes when you are looking at the value of things, you need to remember that it's relative to where someone lives and the strength of their economy etc etc.

Not sure what your minimum wage is in Canada (I should, I was born there), but here in Australia it's about $17 an hour.

Everything is relative.

Very good point Fred, I agree. I'm being lazy and making my own seat and having it upholstered professionally would be a far better option than that seat.

However, some food for thought, often an American/Canadian's opinion on an items value differs greatly from an Australian's. Things are extremely expensive here:

- can of coke $3.50
- candy bar $2.50 - $3.00
- 1977 XS650 in crap condition, no title and rust - $6000

So sometimes when you are looking at the value of things, you need to remember that it's relative to where someone lives and the strength of their economy etc etc.

Not sure what your minimum wage is in Canada (I should, I was born there), but here in Australia it's about $17 an hour.

Everything is relative.

Hi louis,
Cdn$ and Aus$ are just about on par and worth ~75cents US$.
Canadian Price (single can of genuine Coke from a vending machine) $1.25/$1.50
Average candy bar, about the same.
XS650 price, well, that depends.
I bought a bent frame but complete rustbucket '76 from a scrap dealer at the 18cents/lb scrap steel price.
I've seen a rusty runner go for $1,000 and if I were in the market I'd go mebbe $2500 for a just about perfect one.
And yeah, my son was in Australia a few years back, said, you wouldn't believe what bikes cost over here.
What with oil prices tanking the oilpatch workers are being treated like used condoms so things are down a bit all round but we are a long way from soup kitchens as of yet.
Saskatchewan minimum wage is a little shy of $11/hour.
But back to that seat.
My guess is that purchase plus shipping will bring your cost to ~ Aus$250/300.
That's a lot to pay in anybody's currency for a seat that needs serious work done to it and most likely won't fit on an XS650 anyway.

If you are going to buy a seat from the States and import get a good one so there will be no extra costs. could buy a shit box of a seat over here for the same price as buying and shipping from the States.

Ebay Australia...........http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Yamaha-TX650-Seat-BASE-ONLY-/231705420311?hash=item35f2b82217:g:URkAAOSwU~FWCzox

Can get a king queen base made to fit this original base. A seat is going to cost $200 at least to import from the States. + the exchange rates and bank charges your topping $270 Aus or there about

Last edited:
Hi louis,
is it that you actively wanted a king/queen/highback seat as opposed to a normal one?
I know that Yamaha offered a normal seat with a highback as an XS650 option.

Hi Skull,
thanks for the reminder. I do remember giving that advice even if not to whom I gave it.
And as that previous post sez, Louis has hardtailed his machine so most likely he'll need to make up some bracketry to fit whatever seat he gets and won't be locked into a seat that'll fit a stock XS650.

Haven't hardtailed anything, i posted that when I knew literally nothing about my bike. It's stock.

You're spot on Fred, I'm after a high back king queen, preferably the stock option that will bolt straight on but any close fitting high back King queen will do hence my initial query in this thread.

I've been looking for a HBKQ in Australia for 4 months and haven't even gotten close to what I'm after.

I can't understand why you don't join the XS650 Club of Australia, $30.00 and you get a club T-shirt in that price and $20.00 every year after. Get access to the club Facebook page, Members only, and some very knowledgeably members in your area and every other state around Australia. Who knows what someone will have in the back of the garage, a lot of these guys have been through the Easy rider days with the high back seats.

I have heard back from people saying its not for them, Being in a club, but belonging to a club, the benefits far out-way the negatives.

73 has a different shaped seat to all other XS650's, the early 70-72 seats may have the same hinge set up as the 73. PM gggGary he may be able to help with that info.

Been away... 73 seat is like the earlier seats BUT wider at front to match 73 tank, so yes it's one year only. I think I have a spare 73 seat with a slightly cheesy re-pop seat cover. shipping to AU$$$$$

Back