TX650A Wiring

SteNZ

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hey
I'm sure this has been covered but hope to get direction on the following:
I'm re-wiring new Hi/Lo, Indicator switch into the headlight bucket.. The nest of wires is confusing but I think i've got it in the main.. One question..

Wiring diagram shows the main power feed from the fuse as RED.. Mine starts as red but after about 4 inches changes into a black heavier gauge cable.. That is confusing when it comes into the bucket as black is ground.. Also there is a heavier gauge Red/Black cable in the bucket which I don't seem to need (it has a dual connector on the end). That is unless that is the main power feed.

Red changing to a heavier black wire sounds as someone has made a Repair.
And the black wire was the one laying around in the shop.
The other one .The Schematic needs too be checked and compared with other wires there.
Difficult to say

Pix would help.........

Been modified at a guess..........My 74TXA has a red from the fuse to the ignition switch.

Did your bike have a pass/flasher button on the left bar switch
P1000552.JPG

Sorry for late reply..
I ran into a heap more color changes in the wiring so went ahead and bought a new harness from MikesXS.
It seems to match up well so I'm confident I have it basically sorted.. The only issue I have is a 5 pin connector block which is on its own stem with the horn and flasher relay.. I can't figure where it leads to and am thinking it may be for another model and therefore I don't need to worry about it.. I notice my old harness had the same connector and none of my strip down pictures show it connected to anything..
TX650A (74).. 5 pin block with White/Red, Dark Green/Red, Brown, Orange and Black wires.. (see picture)..
Any ideas?
RobView attachment 177171
IMG_2035.jpeg

Thanks, that helped..
Everything went back together well.. All electrics worked.. I had two Blue/Black wires and one red/yellow wire from the loom into the headlight shell that didn't have homes.. And two orange wires from the instrument panels that didn't have matches either.. But all good on that front..

So I put it all back together and tried to fire it up.. Starter winds over, fuel ok, but no spark on the RHS (haven't checked the LHS yet).. Also the RHS coil was warm to hot after about 5 minutes of starting attempts.. Appears I have something wrong in that area which I will try and diagnose tomorrow.. Pics of both sides attached if there are any ideas.. Thx Rob
IMG_2038.jpeg
IMG_2039.jpeg

Pix would help.........

Been modified at a guess..........My 74TXA has a red from the fuse to the ignition switch.

Did your bike have a pass/flasher button on the left bar switch
View attachment 176675
DSC02852.JPG

Thank you Skull! Another one of life's persistent questions answered. I always wondered what the heck that appendage sticking out of the bottom of 74-75 left side handlebar housings was for. U.S. bikes never came with a pass/flasher button, but they used the same casting as those that did.

no spark on the RHS (haven't checked the LHS yet).. Also the RHS coil was warm to hot after about 5 minutes of starting attempts.. Appears I have something wrong in that area which I will try and diagnose tomorrow.. Pics of both sides attached if there are any ideas.. Thx RobView attachment 177197 View attachment 177198
Did the bike run before you put the new harness in?
If the coil gets hot, that indicates that it is probably good. My guess is that your points are dirty.

Yes, it appears you have both points wires plugged into the orange double bullet, and then both condenser wires plugged into the double gray bullet. Each double bullet should get one of each, a condenser wire and a points wire, like so .....

K0dm4em.jpg

kdvXTdb.jpg

Although sometimes difficult to tell because they get so dirty, the cloth covered wires coming from the points are two different colors, an orange and a gray. They should connect to their matching color double bullet. If wired at the points correctly, the gray wire should connect to the top set, for the right cylinder. The orange should connect to the bottom set for the left cylinder .....

0dOr3wg.jpg

The double bullet wires they connect to should follow suit, gray double bullet wire to the right coil, orange one to the left.

Thanks
I did have them wrong.. now fixed (I hope).
I have spark to both plugs.
On startup I’m getting not much except for an occasional backfire.. This was a pretty reliable starter before the new loom so I’m still thinking a wiring issue, not points..
6B343249-A55F-400D-8C10-E083B23B090A.jpeg

Correction: just read 5twins post and switched the orange cloth wire from the points to the orange wire to the LHS coil.. Could my start issue have been this simple? Or should I look for anything else before I re-assemble?

View attachment 177248
Thank you Skull! Another one of life's persistent questions answered. I always wondered what the heck that appendage sticking out of the bottom of 74-75 left side handlebar housings was for. U.S. bikes never came with a pass/flasher button, but they used the same casting as those that did.

Welcome DB.......were both on about the same wavelength about these curiosities........Odd how the OP's don't answer questions.......

and switched the orange cloth wire from the points to the orange wire to the LHS coil..Could my start issue have been this simple?
Try it... that should do it.

Back