TX's Restomod thread.

Taking the center stand bolts out and greasing the bolts helps it work better. Some folks even add grease zerks in the center stand to grease the pivot points.

Runs good now, But it smokes white pretty good under throttle. might need top end rebuild. Guides and seals. But i'll probably drive it for the rest of the season smoking to make sure the transmission is good before i do the top end next winter. Compression was was around 125 both cylinders though. So i probably won't touch the bottom.

Last edited:
It might stop smoking as the engine goes through a rebreakin period. If I remember right it sat for a few years. The rings might seat in after a little running.

Back at it again.... (i copied this from a local forum i haunt)

Turns out my bores were fine (last time i take it to that shop!!!)

Motor tear down revealed bad stem seals. So i had those replaced... for 38 dollars for parts and labour at cycle salvage thanks to Dino!!!! I threw in new rings/honed it, new cam chain and front guide. Put in a dual tower coil and a single points cam (wasted spark setup) and kablam. No smoke!

motor back in, scored an original good shape seat on ebay for $80.00. Rebuilt the brake caliper put on a new m/c and bled it. brakes feel great front and back.

Next.... Gas tank. I could re use mine, but they sell new repro's for $240.00 cdn painted with 2 fuel taps and a keyed lid. It's really a steal.

some things as later will be replaced like the rear shocks and exhaust. The exhaust is expensive so i decided tank gets priority.

nov20102.jpg

nov2010.jpg

engine1.jpg

i think i am really going to like those 34's with johns needles!!!

Watch out ! You may try his other mods too!
I adjusted my clutch today and went out for a dustoff.....love my bike, a smart mans harley (to quote John). Pulls like a mule and goes faster than I want to go.
8-1 compression w/slight retard
Air box mod
Quick throttle mod
Custom needles and jets
Contemplating the oil cooler......

Looking forward to seeing yours finished.

i have honestly considered making a stripped down wiring harness for these bikes and selling them. They are so easy to wire. (i do electrical for a living). I should just get an ebay frame and use it to rattle off custom harnesses.

Another quick update....no pics. Test ran it again. Got it timed (kicks so easy and runs so good now), new 17t front sprocket and 31 rear on, new non oring chain. polished the 1 piece clutch push rod. greased the worm gear. Put on a clutch cable and it works. I don't like how close the let out point is to the bars compared to the 78 i had, but i didn't get to carried away with adjustment yet till i can drive it.

Scored a cheap minty seat on ebay. I am hoping tank is the next big purchase.:)

I'll never chop another stock frame but I do have a couple that others cut and gave up on so it looks as if I'm building a couple of choppers anyway.

Back