U-Haul Trailer advice needed

mm1ut1

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Good possibility I will be going out of state to get my next bike. Because of all the salt on the roads I want to use 5x8 enclosed trailer. Trailer is supposed to be loaded with 60% of the weight forward of center otherwise possible handling problems (weaving side to side). Has anyone had problems using one of these trailers to move a motorcycle? Thanks in advance !

Bikes have a rear rear bias. Too add a little more tongue weight you can load the bike rear wheel first.
Having said that, tongue weight shouldn't be a problem with an 8' bed.

prius trailer wjl madness - Copy.jpg

Thousand miles, no problems...........
A font wheel chock is quite helpful even if it's not anchored down.

Not enough tongue weight is a serious problem. (been there, done that).:yikes: I had my enclosed built with the axle far enough behind the centerline that tongue weight is not a problem anymore. I originally used this to haul my Go Karts that very little weight at all. Tows great at 75mph.
Chicago trailer trip 001-001.JPG
XS`s 038-001.JPG
XS`s 045-001.JPG

The bike has a 47/53 weight bias so loading it backwards and putting in 200 pounds of additional weight should do the trick. Thanks for the information! Now all I have to do is drive all day and hope it is as good as the pics !

View attachment 207098
Thousand miles, no problems...........
A font wheel chock is quite helpful even if it's not anchored down.
home built ? looks aluminum
Is the front anchor point just a piece of steel tubing that was put under the tongue I would assume it's anchored to the tongue

The bike has a 47/53 weight bias so loading it backwards and putting in 200 pounds of additional weight should do the trick. Thanks for the information! Now all I have to do is drive all day and hope it is as good as the pics !
You CAN'T do that to nice guys like us! What IS this machina?

home built ? looks aluminum
Is the front anchor point just a piece of steel tubing that was put under the tongue I would assume it's anchored to the tongue
Kinda hybrid it started life as a PWC trailer, someone added the high temper aluminum box. I ggggGaryized it to fit on much better and added ONE removable wheel chock. Found myself down at JP's in Georgia with a Prius WJL and Madness.
an industrious session of "custom engineering" and JP's scrap iron pile got two chocks installed and both bikes squeezed aboard for the trip home. Trailer's seen a lot of use, usually hauling orphans to gggGary's shop of ill repute.
20210911_121830.jpg

It also hauls firewood behind the lawn mower.
south fence ash leaner.jpg

Last edited:
Kinda hybrid it started life as a PWC trailer, someone added the high temper aluminum box. I ggggGaryized it to fit on much better and added ONE removable wheel chock. Found myself down at JP's in Georgia with a Prius WJL and Madness.
an industrious session of "custom engineering" and JP's scrap iron pile got two chocks installed and both bikes squeezed aboard for the trip home. Trailer's seen a lot of use, usually hauling orphans to gggGary's shop of ill repute.
View attachment 207116

It also hauls firewood behind the lawn mower.
View attachment 207117
Looks like a nice setup for a small towing vehicle

And easy to maneuver
Do you have a small ramp for loading or do as I have done and find a small hill
both; a little aluminum folding ramp slots right in the rear bumper and ALWAYS look for the best place to do loading/unloading.

I've had to load a few bikes using the nearest hill off a pickup

Back