ugly motorcycles

Oh, I dunno. It's just weird enough to appeal to me. Some low bars, a round headlight and some normal gauges. I think it would be well on the way to a pretty standard style of bike. There's about 5 for sale around here right now in various states of (dis) repair from $500 to $1800. Sorely tempted! The later style always looked to me like they had had a frontal collision with something, whereas the 920 just looks like it has taken an uppercut.
I never heard it explained like that.The collision and uppercut thing.Yes, I agree.To me the late model viragos with the tank slanted near 45 degrees and the hunpty backed seat looked like they were trying to inbreed a sportster,virago and vulcan with a hint of hyosung.

Personally I've always liked the Munch Mammut, especially that 2000 with the purple bodywork and giant quarter fairing.

As far as ugly motorcycles... I'd have to go with BMW. Not all of them. I've always liked their GS1200 adventure bikes, and I really like the new GS310 naked bike they came out with last year(especially the white w/red&blue). There were a couple others that looked ok, but so many of them just looked horrible.

Harley has a lot of ugly bikes, some of them look perfectly fine. I really like the look of those blacked out sportsters. Only problem is I can't stand the thought of owning a bike that comes with a mandatory dress code involving bandanas and nothing but HD tshirts, a smug attitude, and a new bike price tag on something that remains unchanged since 1975.

I find it interesting that most of the bikes popping up here are older bikes. I agree that I've looked at plenty of them in the past and thought they looked horrible. I do notice that the older they get, the more willing I am to accept their styling and appreciate them for what they are. At the same time. I think most newer bikes, especially sportbikes, just keep getting uglier and uglier... I think there was a point where sportbikes looked gorgeous, 1997 GSXR750 in black/red, 1998 R6 in red/black/pearl white, 2003CBR600RR, all amazing looking bikes. Then you hit the mid 2000s when everything started going downhill when they started forcing too many angular designs(at a time when all of the motogp bikes were all still nice and curved, so clearly they knew what a fast bike should look like), with things like goofy headlights like that 2007 Yamaha R1, BMW S1000rr with it's mismatched headlights and fishgills in the side fairings. Kawasaki just went off the rails after their 2003-2004 zx6r and 2004-2005 zx10r, both of which looked great, but then have been replaced with nothing but awkward looking bikes.

Either way, all the newer bikes being so ugly makes it that much easier to not be interested in them, on top of the price tags, and unnecessary/overbearing electronics that come on bikes now. Pretty much all of the bikes I really like are still from right around that 2000 time period, which is great when it comes to finding stuff cheap on craigslist. Two exceptions for great looking newer bikes... Indian Scout, and the KTM Superduke 1290r.... dreamboats.

Okay, I'll start an argument (maybe), but I think ALL the 'customs' that came out of the Orange County Chopper's TV
show were then and now butt ugly. :poo:
The show was entertaining though for awhile...

Personally I've always liked the Munch Mammut, especially that 2000 with the purple bodywork and giant quarter fairing.

As far as ugly motorcycles... I'd have to go with BMW. Not all of them. I've always liked their GS1200 adventure bikes, and I really like the new GS310 naked bike they came out with last year(especially the white w/red&blue). There were a couple others that looked ok, but so many of them just looked horrible.

Harley has a lot of ugly bikes, some of them look perfectly fine. I really like the look of those blacked out sportsters. Only problem is I can't stand the thought of owning a bike that comes with a mandatory dress code involving bandanas and nothing but HD tshirts, a smug attitude, and a new bike price tag on something that remains unchanged since 1975.

I find it interesting that most of the bikes popping up here are older bikes. I agree that I've looked at plenty of them in the past and thought they looked horrible. I do notice that the older they get, the more willing I am to accept their styling and appreciate them for what they are. At the same time. I think most newer bikes, especially sportbikes, just keep getting uglier and uglier... I think there was a point where sportbikes looked gorgeous, 1997 GSXR750 in black/red, 1998 R6 in red/black/pearl white, 2003CBR600RR, all amazing looking bikes. Then you hit the mid 2000s when everything started going downhill when they started forcing too many angular designs(at a time when all of the motogp bikes were all still nice and curved, so clearly they knew what a fast bike should look like), with things like goofy headlights like that 2007 Yamaha R1, BMW S1000rr with it's mismatched headlights and fishgills in the side fairings. Kawasaki just went off the rails after their 2003-2004 zx6r and 2004-2005 zx10r, both of which looked great, but then have been replaced with nothing but awkward looking bikes.

Either way, all the newer bikes being so ugly makes it that much easier to not be interested in them, on top of the price tags, and unnecessary/overbearing electronics that come on bikes now. Pretty much all of the bikes I really like are still from right around that 2000 time period, which is great when it comes to finding stuff cheap on craigslist. Two exceptions for great looking newer bikes... Indian Scout, and the KTM Superduke 1290r.... dreamboats.
quite odd.I agree 100%.That is quite odd for me.

Okay, I'll start an argument (maybe), but I think ALL the 'customs' that came out of the Orange County Chopper's TV
show were then and now butt ugly. :poo:
The show was entertaining though for awhile...
I had a patient that worked for them.He said he made a lot of money while working there.Also they had lots of unhappy customers. Of course now they dont even exist.He said he made 2 complete bikes, one for him and one for his wife just from parts that were brought bike.

Yeah - I agree. When they stuck to metal-bashing, the show was worthwhile (although the bikes were simply silly IMO - uncomfortable, unsafe, unrideable and UGLY). The show died for me when they got into the pissy infantile drama between the dumb@ss dad and the cranky spoiled son. That type of contrived reality TV crap just puts me off.

Oh well.

I had a patient that worked for them.He said he made a lot of money while working there.Also they had lots of unhappy customers. Of course now they dont even exist.He said he made 2 complete bikes, one for him and one for his wife just from parts that were brought bike.

It must have been a very challenging place to work - between the TV crew hanging around taping everything and the drama scenes during which all the shop guys seemed to retreat under their workbenches to get out of the line of fire. I can imagine going home with a friggin' migraine every night.

I hope he built a couple of good bikes and didn't pay much for them.

Pete

Last edited:
It must have been a very challenging place to work - between the TV crew hanging around taping everything and the drama scenes during which all the shop guys seemed to retreat under their workbenches to get out of the line of fire. I can imagine going home with a friggin' migraine every night.

I hope he build a couple of good bikes and didn't pay much for them.

Pete
well,I dont know about what he paid, he basically told me he stole all the parts because there was so much crap going on with constantly being hurried to jr and senior fighting no one would know if parts were taken or not. He said that fighting was not for ratings, it was real.Senior definitely has psych issues.

Yeah - I agree. When they stuck to metal-bashing, the show was worthwhile (although the bikes were simply silly IMO - uncomfortable, unsafe, unrideable and UGLY). The show died for me when they got into the pissy infantile drama between the dumb@ss dad and the cranky spoiled son. That type of contrived reality TV crap just puts me off.

Oh well.
I totally agree.its been 40 years but I rode a chopper once.Very dangerous.

Hey Ron, was your patient a patient before he went to work for the tuttles or after...LOL

Wow - it looked staged to me - but there was no doubt about it, Sr. came across as a nutjob.

I was certain that Senior had totally lost it when the two of them had a build-off competition against each other. Seniors machine was some kind of go-cart thing, not even a motorcycle. And none of his people had the guts to tell him that he wasn't even building the same type of vehicle? He wouldn't even be able to register the ridiculous thing for road use.

Scott

Last edited:
Hey Ron, was your patient a patient before he went to work for the tuttles or after...LOL
He was there in new york just for the work.he talked like he was an expert builder.After it was obvious occ was going under he came back to texas.I could have bought their entire building for $900,000. They probably had 2 million in it.I wanted to get 900 bikers to go in 1000 each and use it for rallies,building real motorcycles, etc.Impossible to do that.

Back