UK Carb recognition help

Andy1

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Got boxes of carbs to fit to my 1976 uk spec bike. Is their anybody able to advise what year the carbs in the pictures are;

First 3 pics show carb with markings 1F1-00 on the body

xs650carb1F1-00PIC3jpeg.jpg

xs650carb1F1-00PIC2jpeg.jpg

xs650carb1F1-00PIC1jpeg.jpg

Pictures 4,5 & 6 show carbs marked KOGYO on the body.

xs650carbkogyo3jpeg.jpg

xs650carbkogyo2jpeg.jpg

xs650carbkogyo1jpeg.jpg

Pictures 7,8 & 9 have no marking apparent on the carb bodies?

xS650unmarkedcarb3jpeg.jpg

xS650unmarkedcarb2jpeg.jpg

XS650unmarkedcarb1jpeg.jpg

1st set appears to be '76-'77. 2nd set are 1980 BS34s. I can tell you why if you need to know that.

Your first set of carbs the marking is not stamped very well. It should read 1E1. They are the BS38 carbs used in 76-77.
The second set look to be BS34 carbs. The fuel inlet is on the outside, not between the carbs. They might be off a different model Yamaha, can't say for sure which one. Maybe not even Yamaha carbs. They look too far apart. The XS650 has a 120 mm carb spacing. Those look much wider. Measure them.
The third set look like are for the 78-79 years, they are a mess. Missing parts, wrong top cover.
From what you have, I would work with the first set. The 76-77 BS38's. They look the most promising.
If you tear down the 76-77 carb set you should find a 117.5 main, a 25 pilot, a 4M1 needle, the clip in the #3 slot, with a Z-8 needle jet, 120 throttle plates. That's stock parts, your may have anything in there.
Here stateside the specs are the same except we got a 122.5 mains.
There is a chart from the Netherlands XS Club. www.xs650.fi/pohja_files/fi/XS650carbs.htm
It talks about the 70-79 BS38 carbs. The translation leaves you scratching your head sometimes but it is a good reference.
Leo

Wow, that's massive for me, thanks, the carbs history on the xs seems meteoric . I am seriously thinking of going down the new carb root from that MIke somebody is selling for 300 bucks, by the time i have sorted these i may not be behind money wise? Anyhow for now if you think the first carbs are the ones for year 76 then that matches my bike and as you say they are the most complete, though look to be lacking a balance tube between them. Now i know i can focus on these, i will also measure the others and get back to you maybe we can work out what these are from? Also i have lots of parts over maybe you folks could tell me where these are from, The manuals detail is very small when in doubt. Cheers very happpy with info so far :thumbsup:

There is no balance tube between the '76-'77 carbs. Those brass nipples above the fuel inlets are vents. Don't interconnect them. You can leave them as is or add 2 separate hoses and just let them dangle down between the carbs.

Andy1, re. those cheap aftermarket carburetors, there's a long and detailed thread on them. Read it. If you're a gambling man and/or a masochist, order a pair.

Yes, the notorious Pukes - I wouldn't wish them on my worst enemy, lol.

Here's how the vent tubes run on my 76-77 carbs.
Leo

Attachments

• 007 (640x480).jpg
    007 (640x480).jpg
    223.9 KB · Views: 92
Further to what Leo brought to my attention;1st picture below shows distance between carbs as 112mm (this is the same carbs in photo i called with no idents on)

P3230049.jpg

Same carbs shows oulet bore diameter;

P3230052.jpg

same carbs throttle slider diameter;

P3230053.jpg

still same carbs across diaphragm seating;

P3230054.jpg

The other measurements for the other carbs are as follows;

Carbs marked 1F1-00 (or should i say 1E1-00)
120 mm between centre of carbs
37.43 mm Carb outlet bore
33 mm throttle slide bore
74 mm across diaphragm

Carbs marked KOGYO measurements;
120 mm between centre of carbs
33.83 mm carb outlet bore
30 mm throttle slide bore
70 mm across the diaphragm

So much info my head is spinning :doh: Regarding comments about Mikes replacement carbs, bit of a surprise as i did read most of it and i thought comments were favourable? anyhow i am glad to be making progress here and now subject to a few new bits will have them fitted soon.

I did mention earlier i had a few extra bits, so below is one of them, is it XS650?

P3230055.jpg

Those appear to be BS32s (if there is such a thing), off some small Jap twin (250, 350, 360, 400) probably. Not much use to you I'm afraid. A couple screws and small parts may swap, that's about it. That bracket is not XS650.

On the KOYGO marked carbs, the distance ctc is right for the XS650, but the fuel inlets are wrong. On the XS650, the BS34's had a tee fitting between the carbs that the fuel line hooked to.
Those appear to have the fuel lines hook to the outside. With no balance fuel tube between them.
Maybe that's why they look to wide. As 5twins said on the bracket, that's not XS650.
It might fit on the top of those carbs as a brace to hold them straight. The same as the butterfly shaped piece on the 76-77 set of carbs.
On the set that looks like 79's, our sister site XS400.com is for the XS400. You might go on there and show them the pics of those carbs. They might be from an XS400.
Leo

It's possible those BS34s have been swapped side to side so the left is now on the right, right on the left. It would involve swapping the butterfly shafts as well so the linkage would hook up, but it's probably possible. That would place the fuel inlets outboard. Just when I think I've seen it all, something else pops up, lol.

That's a possibilty. The fuel line inlets look threaded on the one side. On the other it looks like the fuel line hose barb is held on by a banjo bolt. The XS400 was that way.
So it's hard to say for sure just what they came from.
Leo

I thought about swapping carbs over but i would have to drill the butterfly screws out then mess about alot making rivets to put back, yes i think possible but not at moment. i am looking for a supplier for my carbs spares i need to complete the 1E1-00 carbs. ned all the jets, bowl gasket all o rings. Does not seem to be anybody in England , any ideas

Around here the independent shops that work on dirt bikes, atv's and such usually keep an assortment of jets. Try looking for one near you.
They might even let you buy an assortment of jets and buy the ones you don't use back.
They often have used jets for a bit of a discount.
Can't hurt to ask.
Leo

Back