Ultimate Coil Mounting Using Pete's Method... Discrepencies

OakBehringer

XS650 Guru
Reaction score
Two questions:

1) Pete suggests using "standoffs" to mount the coil:

http://www.yamahaxs650.com/17-6903.JPG

I was unable to find this exact product, but I found some steel spacers of the correct length (see attached pic). Pete's standoffs are a bit more substantial, and I know the value of solid mounting the coil is to use the frame as a heat sink, should I bet worried that my coil might over heat?

2) My coil is touching my tank (see attached picture). It's not like... jammed into it (I didn't notice when putting the tank on, only when I looked from the bottom side). There is an inner bulge from the tank that runs along the top side of the coil. The problem is not that my spacers are too long - the screw on retainers for the plug wires are just touching the frame on the other side). Has anyone had this issue? I thought there was going to be about a 1/4" of space there. I'm a bit worried about rubbing the rubber coating on the coil off with the inside of my tank. Thoughts?

Thanks!
Adam

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-07-21 at 6.48.50 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2014-07-21 at 6.48.50 PM.jpg
    121.8 KB · Views: 287
  • Screen Shot 2014-07-21 at 6.58.14 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2014-07-21 at 6.58.14 PM.jpg
    151.8 KB · Views: 341
A few taps with a ballpeen hammer on the tank will give you the clearance you want. What Pete is calling standoffs, is what is used to connect threaded rod together. Most any hardware store should have them, in 1/4,5/16,3/8 thread sizes. 1/4 would work for you. I used them along with some spacers on my coil mount.

Last edited:
OakBehringer,

What year is your bike? Is that a stock tank?

I took a look at my '81/H with that coil installed and there is about 1/8" clearance between the coil and the tank. When I wiggle the tank from side to side, there is no contact. The spark plug wire tower caps are right up against the frame. You might want to check the condition of the rubber mounting pad on the tail of the tank to be sure the tank is sitting as high as it can.

Looking at your picture, it looks like you do have a bit of clearance, maybe 1/16". If you eliminate one washer from the mounting bolt that may get you to 1/8" which is all you need because the tank rotates around the coil when you move it on its rubber mounts.

Last edited:
OakBehringer,

What year is your bike? Is that a stock tank?

I took a look at my '81/H with that coil installed and there is about 1/8" clearance between the coil and the tank. When I wiggle the tank from side to side, there is no contact. The spark plug wire tower caps are right up against the frame. You might want to check the condition of the rubber mounting pad on the tail of the tank to be sure the tank is sitting as high as it can.

Looking at your picture, it looks like you do have a bit of clearance, maybe 1/16". If you eliminate one washer from the mounting bolt that may get you to 1/8" which is all you need because the tank rotates around the coil when you move it on its rubber mounts.

'81, stock tank. Rubbers are OK- not amazing, but OK. I don't think that's the problem. I can wiggle the tank back and forth and hear/feel it hit. Like I said, it's not jammed up on it, it's just touching the coil.

I'm about to leave for LA for work for the next 24 hours (via car, just had arm surgery), I'm going to get after this tomorrow. I'll let you know if removing the washer works-- the plug wire towers might be too-jammed on the frame w/o the washer (they're already touching it)-- otherwise I'll tap it with a ballpeen until I have room.

Thanks guys, but a few taps from a ball peen hammer is a lot easier than grinding the existing mount off my frame to use ground clamps, and results in a more reliable mount.

I didn't grind anything.. bolt on and go but mine is stock tank...not sure what you got going on...good luck dude

Here's another option to consider:

I removed the existing coil mounts (and horn). A couple 3/4" pipe clamps from Lordco and I fabbed up two small L brackets.

16004037048_49dea843a8_c.jpg

Attachments

• 16004037048_49dea843a8_z.jpg
    16004037048_49dea843a8_z.jpg
    161.9 KB · Views: 208
Last edited:
Forgive me if I'm not understanding this and please put your sarcasm hats on.

You purchased an aftermarket coil that's identified for you model.
You try to install it.
You don't have proper clearance.
So, you're pounding on the inner side of the tank, grinding post mounts, rigging up brackets from Home Depot?

Correct me if I'm wrong. I feel as tho I'm missing something. I just got the XS fever and I don't know much about them. But, If you bought an aftermarket set of wheels for your car and they hit the inner fender would you take the torch out or send them back and get ones that fit? or get your $ back?

Let me clear up something about these old motorcycles. Damm near everything has to be fit to the bike. It is not plug and play. The coil works for the bike, it must be fit to the bike, grinding standoffs down, pounding on tank.... That is why we have 40 year old motorcycles. So we can fiddle with them. Some stuff fits, some stuff you make fit, some stuff you make the motorcycle fit the part. It is all part of the fun!

chizler62,

Well, welcome to the club. The XS650 has been out of production for 32 years. Yamaha no longer makes parts for it, so there are a number of replacement parts that require some ingenuity to install. If you lack that ingenuity, then some other bike might be more to your liking.

Last edited:
I disagree with this last post. If its not presented at the POP then its just poor business. If its presented as a replacement component that will need modification to work then I'm ok with that.

For years I built frames, A-arms and swingarms etc for the discontinued Suzuki LT250r. The clutch cable post would break off the clutch covers. The fix was a Dr350 clutch post that required a few minutes to fit. I presented it as a replacement part that needed modification. I couldn't imagine not.

If this coil is sold as a "replacement " and you have to pound on a tank. That's bad business.

chizler62,

As you said in your post: "I just got the XS fever and I don't know much about them" There are two types of ignition systems in the XS650. The early models had points, the later models had an electronic ignition system called the TCI (Transistor Controlled Ignition). This particular thread is about installing the coil in a '81 model, and as I posted, that is the same model that I have with the same coil and I did not have a problem and did not have to modify the tank, but everybody's approach to the situation is different.

In any event, the ignition system and the coil are sold as an upgrade, not just a replacement, as there are no replacement parts available for the ignition system, and in any event, I do not manufacture or sell the coil in question.

I really am looking forward to your valuable contributions to this forum after you have learned a bit more about the XS650.

Last edited:
Back