Ultimate Ground clearance for xs650 bobber

ebb0tk

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
The frame is getting ready to be cut and be transformed with an unique hardtail, the shop making this for me asked what rear tire size i was gonna run, stretch, and ground clearence.

I was thinking i want to go atleast 4" stretch and 2"inch drop. What ground clearence would that give med with an 18"x4.00 avon in the rear and 21" avon at front? I dont want to be scraping pegs though.

Attached a picture of what i like, in my taste its maybe a little bit too long. Anyone would happened to know the stretch, drop, ground clearance of this bike? Or make take a guess =)

Attachments

• 1909182_1120704621280356_6516165767429063237_o (1).jpg
    1909182_1120704621280356_6516165767429063237_o (1).jpg
    172.7 KB · Views: 720
Hi ebb0tk,
from that photo it'd just be a guess and your guess will be no worse than mine.
I'd advise that you tell your frame builder what you want the bike to look like and leave the numbers up to him.

Yeah of course but would be nice to have some numbers on what to aim on, the tc hardtail has 5" och clearance? I find that a little bit high. But below 4" sounds like i could be starting to scrape the sidestand?

this bike was a build from pancake customs in holland, check their FB account if you want measurments...

the bike in that pic definitely scrapes. probably not all the time. speed bumps, loading into a truck, ends of pegs on aggressive turns etc. With 2 inches of fork travel it also bottoms out in the forks.

are you able to go and eyeball it out with the frame builder? I would be nervous if you gave him numbers over the phone or through email it could be read/translated wrong.

Well thats the thing. Havent left the frame to him yet, and i have maybe 4-5hour drive to him! So would be good to bring him something, of course i could ask him what he recommends for ground clearance (atleast) but would be nice to have a few comments about others clearances here aswell to get my head straight =)

my bikes lower frame rail is 6.5" off the ground and I wouldn't go any lower. Can't remember stretch or drop and I run a 16 in the rear.

Attachments

• photo 4.jpg
    photo 4.jpg
    315.8 KB · Views: 478
i have the tcbros hardtail and lowered the front end 3". Its pretty low. but I put the tc bros forward controls on. I think ive scraped a peg once. The forward controls bring up the pegs enough to not rub. just a thought if you want to avoid scraping pegs!
20150510_185101.jpg

I have a VooDoo Vintage hardtail on mine, MK25,,,the curved one.
Dropped the front by 3 inches and am running a 16" rear and a 19" front.
With me being a tad on the "short" side I prefer to be able to have both feet firmly planted on the pavement when stopped. I am around 4 inches or so off the ground,,not much for leaning into curves but I didn't build it as a racer or to go fast on small roads. (even tho I will probably,,hehheh)

Attachments

• 0614160424.jpg
    0614160424.jpg
    183.8 KB · Views: 355
Back