Ultrasonic Cleaning Thread

Update on my ultrasonic cleaner.

Bought one like this https://www.xs650.com/threads/ultrasonic-cleaning-thread.51886/post-754094

6-litre Vevor bath.

But as mentioned here https://www.xs650.com/threads/ultrasonic-cleaning-thread.51886/post-769691

had email from ebay telling me not to use it. Have since had email from Border Alerts, quoting a UK Govt order that these Vevor ultrasonic cleaners are unsafe, are to be destroyed at port of entry and if you have one, do not use. Asked Elliot while he was here helping with the Bullet - he read the Govt guidance and advised me to fling the thing in the bin.

The earthing is unsafe and there is no safe way to use 30A cleaner with a bath full of fluid with dodgy earthing. Don't want to put Mrs through the experience of finding me laid out on the garage floor . . .

Accordingly, my Vevor cleaner model JPS-30A has now been binned. Have requested and received a refund - to be fair, the seller gave me back most of the price.

I can confirm this to be true…

I had one, it blew its fuse. Took it apart and replaced.

Every time I touched it once plugged in, it would zap me.

Promptly went in the circular file.

Further to my ultrasonic cleaner story - bought one to assist with cleaning carbs but hopefully other parts. See https://www.xs650.com/threads/ultrasonic-cleaning-thread.51886/post-754094 earlier in this thread.

Bought through ebay UK. Received the cleaner then a few days later, after I had used it, an email from ebay telling me the cleaner does not meet UK safety standards, and therefore I can cancel the order if I have not yet received the item and have full refund. The item must not be sold on ebay and must not be used because it could short circuit and cause electrocution. No suggestion of what to do if the cleaner has already been received . . .

So, guess I'll continue use it.
UK Customs issued a similar warning and prohibition about the Chinese diesel heaters, which was mostly alarmist bunk.
Sure, there might have been a few out of thousands being imported that were iffy, but there were thousands in use without people dropping like flies.
In light of that, I took the warning about the U/S cleaners with a pinch of salt.
I'm still getting one, later on.

After the early years of body shop grade lacquer thinner thinner soaks of old cast implement and heavy equipment cast carbs,then onto NAPA’s $20.00ish gallon of carb cleaner with a screen tray for those old carbs and Motorcycle carbs.(Always mentored to keep in mind,they are carburetors,there is no room internally for blockage of any kind.)I’m using an Ultrasonic Cleaner we use at work for a water jet pump that seemingly hates a slight film on a couple small components,regardless of the million reasons why it should’nt.Diluted very,very,old wine W/extra o2 and a fancy label works.Starting with full strength vinegar on a set of spare 75b carbs.Reading through all the threads of ultrasonic carb cleaning experiences,products and temps is interesting and amazing.Teaching an old dog new tricks isn’t cliche’ old terminology anymore when you become an old dog and wanting to learn about the new tricks.Again and still,Thank you all for sharing.Don🤝

Attachments

• 4264529A-F0E7-43B6-9A67-41DF87DF96D2.jpeg
    4264529A-F0E7-43B6-9A67-41DF87DF96D2.jpeg
    383.9 KB · Views: 40
After the early years of body shop grade lacquer thinner thinner soaks of old cast implement and heavy equipment cast carbs,then onto NAPA’s $20.00ish gallon of carb cleaner with a screen tray for those old carbs and Motorcycle carbs.(Always mentored to keep in mind,they are carburetors,there is no room internally for blockage of any kind.)I’m using an Ultrasonic Cleaner we use at work for a water jet pump that seemingly hates a slight film on a couple small components,regardless of the million reasons why it should’nt.Diluted very,very,old wine W/extra o2 and a fancy label works.Starting with full strength vinegar on a set of spare 75b carbs.Reading through all the threads of ultrasonic carb cleaning experiences,products and temps is interesting and amazing.Teaching an old dog new tricks isn’t cliche’ old terminology anymore when you become an old dog and wanting to learn about the new tricks.Again and still,Thank you all for sharing.Don🤝
Just with straight vinegar at 45c for 1 hour showed positive results however jp’s recommendation and others seemingly make better sense so I’ll shop and continue that way.Definatly a kid with a new toy.😁👍

Attachments

• 1FE0D41F-0602-4CB3-B846-71C56EBB6C68.jpeg
    1FE0D41F-0602-4CB3-B846-71C56EBB6C68.jpeg
    420.8 KB · Views: 36
I need to degrease a bunch of rusty bolts and small bits before I attempt to de rust them. Options available to me are: Zep citrus; Simple Green and Castrol Super Clean. Which would you use?

I need to degrease a bunch of rusty bolts and small bits before I attempt to de rust them. Options available to me are: Zep citrus; Simple Green and Castrol Super Clean. Which would you use?
I’ve used all three. They all work. For degreasing, I think Super Clean is the most potent. Simple Green probably comes in last.

I’ve used all three. They all work. For degreasing, I think Super Clean is the most potent. Simple Green probably comes in last.
Thx. I have the Zep equivalent on hand and will try it today. Not sure of the concentration to use. if I can find a heavy plastic bag to put the bits into I can use a stronger concentration there and plain water for the bath.

This has been recommended to use on aluminium.

Found a retailer who has a full range óf Simple green for sale here in Australia.

3.8 liter botle for $71.51
Buy 9 bottles for $64.00 each

Or 20 liters for $312.00.

View attachment 249230

I have now been using this for my XS650 switching from Green SimpleGren which blackened the aluminum if left in there too long.
This version of SG has been the solution for me.
I'm still on my first 1g bottle.

Is it safe to clean a carb in an ultrasonic cleaner with plastic bits still attached? I‘m about to clean some carbs and all the plastic can’t be removed easily. I believe they have felt throttle shaft seals too. Do I need to further investigate complete dismantling or just dunk it in? I’ll try to get the simple green cleaner for this project.

I got some “Sharpertek carburetor cleaner degreaser “ recommended from some one on the site. It worked GREAT. I used 8 oz 120 oz water to make a gallon of cleaner. Heated it to about 125 degrees and run the cleaner for 30 minutes. Then rinsed in very hot water. Checkout the results. If you have heavy buildup soak in Gumout like cleaner first to soften the varnish before you ultrasonic clean.

Attachments

• IMG_3711.jpeg
    IMG_3711.jpeg
    219.9 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_3712.jpeg
    IMG_3712.jpeg
    282.1 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_3713.jpeg
    IMG_3713.jpeg
    248 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_3714.jpeg
    IMG_3714.jpeg
    268.7 KB · Views: 35
Not motorcycle related but does anyone know what solution is safe to use in an ultrasonic cleaner to clean jewelry? There’s lots of commercially available product but I’m sure there’s good home brews as well. At this time I’m looking to clean gold rings with diamonds. I’m not sure if other precious stones may be safely cleaned at home with this process. I bought a jewelry ultrasonic cleaner for my wife years ago but it doesn’t have the “oomph” of my bigger machine for carb work.

Yes Sharpetek is what I use at that temp, 6-8 oz per gallon. Just finished two sets of Z1900 carbs. I have been using this for the last 10 years or so. Might be other stuff out there that works just as well.

Back