Ultrasonic parts cleaner

I checked the measurements from a 74 Carb and just the body will need 100mm side to side and back to front, (flange to flange), to cover the body.

The basket is 75mm high and they say not to cover it with the solution.

They state it is a 3.2 liter Tank but actual will be less......... but they don't say.

I don't know if my maths is right but by my maths the volume of the basket is 2.1 litre

My tuner uses ultra sonic to clean carbs. He swears by it and it does seem to do a great job. But.....the carbs come back kind of a sooty grey color. Soda blasting cleans the grey off no problem but it does add another step. Just a heads up.

roy

Don't confuse a harbor freight "ultrasonic cleaner" with a real one LOL...........

I own one and use it for carbs all the time. They work great but are not a miracle machine, you still need to much of the cleaning ahead of time with carb cleaner. They do discolor the bodies a bit but the cavitation that occurs gets into smaller cavities than just hand cleaning.

18238.2478aeb1fc3567a3c920b10ec0468636.jpg

18238.1659fb741fa0a195e213cefc72a2fe75.jpg

18238.cccfb752fc2598eb19e49bd8d2805303.jpg

Hi Wally
I have a smaller cleaner than your model, bought off ebay but wouldn't fit a carb in basket fully built so had to strip down to fit but results were not bad. It came with some sort of seaweed extract cleaner.
18385.18c39ea02c2692216175821d7867646e.jpg

18385.98cc181ddb9027362d08f98772b62723.jpg

18385.588a23534f44ec4a39c1f374a081e04c.jpg

As yours is a larger basket it should do a quicker job but still need to strip down to acsess all internals
sorry ive put them in wrong order but you get the picture

have a slightly smaller one, same manufacturer only used once as a trial and was impressed.had a old delordo carb that has sat arround for 30 years in the spares box so covered in old oil/dust and dirt.put in with just plain water (only 1/2 fitted) for 1 hour then turned upside down and then another hour. it came out really very clean,would have spent the same time with a toothbrush to get the same results.and that was plain water,be intrestig to try with some of the additives or even some vinigar mix but still not sure of which additives are safe.eg to much vinigar can damage the rubbers and seals iv been told.opps forgot to say also did a quick clean up first with a soda blaster exsperiment.it was a cheap $50 top loading spot blaster with a pk of bicarb from supermarket,was a quick1 to 2 min hit (next time wll use face mask.tasted bicarb after all day) as said above well worth it

Last edited:
Golfers also use them to clean their clubs, [maybe their balls too] they would hold a complete engine or tank but are pricey,would be good if a few guys chipped together to share cost provided they were local

have a slightly smaller one, same manufacturer only used once as a trial and was impressed.had a old delordo carb that has sat arround for 30 years in the spares box so covered in old oil/dust and dirt.put in with just plain water (only 1/2 fitted) for 1 hour then turned upside down and then another hour. it came out really very clean,would have spent the same time with a toothbrush to get the same results.and that was plain water,be intrestig to try with some of the additives or even some vinigar mix but still not sure of which additives are safe.eg to much vinigar can damage the rubbers and seals iv been told.opps forgot to say also did a quick clean up first with a soda blaster exsperiment.it was a cheap $50 top loading spot blaster with a pk of bicarb from supermarket,was a quick1 to 2 min hit (next time wll use face mask.tasted bicarb after all day) as said above well worth it

bump.....:doh:

I've recently acquired a medium sized U/S Cleaner. It's an older laboratory model (1970's?) with an open top tank, ~10"x4"x4". It looks like the same kind of drop-in tank used in restaurant kitchen ready use ingredient units. So, there are metal and plastic tops around.

Dusted it off, plugged it in and added 1/2 full of water. Click, Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm, with little bubbles in the bottom, around the middle of the transducer, which is likely welded there. Dumped in a soup can of old rusty misc. bits, nuts and bolts. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm for 5 minutes. Most are now pretty clean and ready to use again, save a couple hard cases. A layer of brown dust on the bottom. Next a side cover to the 650 alternator. 1/2 of it clean in 2 minutes, rotate 180 degrees and done in another 2 minutes. IT'S REALLY CLEAN! :bike:

I like this. :thumbsup: It's waaaaay cheaper than carb cleaner! I think a whole chain will fit in it. Need to look into the right cleaners for the duty. I'm sold. I want a bigger one for valve covers and cams. I'd love to drop a whole, chain lube sprayed, rear wheel in one (but that would cost $$$ to make). Let's make alot more DIY's. I found a number who've made them online.:wink2:

Back