Underslung Caliper

hutch08

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Does anyone have any info on this underslung rear caliper, or who built this bike?

1712334923217.png

Im running stock XS mag wheels and would like to invert the rear caliper so its hanging below the rail, Is this do able?

I like the way it looks.

NOW:

Attachments

• 2010-10-11 11.47.49.jpg
    2010-10-11 11.47.49.jpg
    181.4 KB · Views: 220
Yep, just need a different mount for the bar, and you'll need to bleed the brake cylinder upright (bleeder valve at the highest point of the caliper) and then you are set. I've done 2 this way without any issues. I didn't even think to get pics, but its a basic principle..

Hugh

Well the issue I see is when I rotate the caliper down under , the brake stay slot is on the rear of the caliper, did you modify the caliper? Cause it would need to attach to the bottom frame rail...

That's what I see as the problem as well. Just took a look at mine, and was wondering if the is enough material there to drill and slot on the other side. Hmm. BTW, who made that frame? Looks sweet.

The other issue is that on the bottom, it is trying to be pulled apart, and not compressed as on the top. Punk, you tigged a new bracket on the aluminum?

Yeah, I TIG'd a new mount on. Changing to a different style brake rod is simple. Its the same style as used on all Drum Brake XS's anyhow... I might have a picture of that, but I seriously doubt it, I'll look...

BTW, who made that frame? Looks sweet.

Thats an Ardcore frame, excellent craftsmanship...

Yeah I dont think theres enough "meat" to just use the other side.... would definatly involve some welding. Im not a professional welder by any means so that would have to be left up to someone else. It worries me that i think its cast aluminum and I never hear good things about welding that... and also like you said, it will be pulling not pushing so that puts even greater force on the weld... hmmmmmmmm... :doh:

I knew it looked to easy..

Be really careful doing this. One of the guys on our Raider forum did a 300 tire mod and the bracket broke loose. The brake swiveled around, locked up the rear and almost caused disaster. The guy was lucky he wasn't killed. It was all done professionally by a shop but the braket didn't hold...the bolt pulled right through a 5/8" bracket during sub 50mph braking. Turns out this isn't the first time this has happened. Now its being dealt with in the courts.

I thought that was an Ardcore. Nice. Maybe the caliper doesn't look too bad on top after all? Like this?

Attachments

• rsz_1bike_done_009.jpg
    rsz_1bike_done_009.jpg
    221.9 KB · Views: 156
Be really careful doing this. One of the guys on our Raider forum did a 300 tire mod and the bracket broke loose. The brake swiveled around, locked up the rear and almost caused disaster. The guy was lucky he wasn't killed. It was all done professionally by a shop but the braket didn't hold...the bolt pulled right through a 5/8" bracket during sub 50mph braking. Turns out this isn't the first time this has happened. Now its being dealt with in the courts.

yeah I don't like the thought of that....and especially since I'm running a rear brake only I'd better be sure its not going to fail me.....

It still looks ok on top, I won't be dissatisfied if I end up running it that way...

Back