unexpected observation regarding XS1 front fender

pretty sure it was walsh boat landing. pretty sure the pic is the giant, rough, probably gravel parking lot.

the way i remember it, from somewhere at the parking lot you can walk straight across the road to a snack shack, or little greasy spoon, that's on the shore. i was only in that a couple of times briefly...once waiting while somebody took a leak, and once with a big gang to get take-out. part of working for the city was take the pickup truck and pick up people who were parking cars there and take them somewhere else... usually when i drove the truck it was to take $5 -10,000 to the bank. one of my co-workers was a parolee who'd spent ten years in prison for a weed farm. one time he had to take it to the bank and he was in a near panic, like if anything at all happened, even bank error, he'd go back to prison. i guess you get used to being treated pretty roughly and not being given the benefit of a doubt and it's your new normal

View attachment 163807
Yeah, Walsh Boat Landing was probably it. It sort of fits with your remembrance of directions for getting there.
I’ve never been there, but it sounds pleasant. I checked the amenities – pretty sparse, just picnic tables, BBQ grills, and bathrooms. No concessions or food, I believe. Maybe you saw a private food trailer that was on the public road.
Interesting story of when you worked for the parks. Texas used to view pot as no different from heroin.

in that case, i could be conflating the restaurant with someplace else. i do remember at least that it was a building, not a trailer. the guy from prison was somewhere in his 30s. according to him they threw the book at him because he didn't "snitch". to hear him describe his pot farm, he was just asking for it, not as much secrecy as you'd expect. lots of stories from him about hanging out with a felon woman and testing positive for drugs, both parole violations that he'd get out of somehow. or maybe just made-up drama.

Back