uni pod oil

chugg

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am changing my filters to the uni pod 4229 on my 78. Wanting to do due diligence after reading thru these forums, and still having some questions, I e-mailed uni usa for answers about oiling. They responded with a link to their oiling videos, which I interpreted as 'stop wasting my time you ignorant slut'. I posted back, yes, I know, I watched all your videos already. There is nothing about the black foam pods, and it doesn't answer my questions. The response was "spray oil on, work it in, you're done. O.K. so I e-mail uni-australia along with the link from this forum http://www.uniflow.com.au/contents/e...ike pods.pdf to see if this was still the approved method. Myles responded, that yes, this was still appropriate for the black foam material, but all other colors require the foam filter oil. I suppose it seems I am trying to reinvent the wheel here, but if gasoline is harmful to the filter material, why not use kerosene or mineral spirits to dilute the oil for application, or why not use thinned filter oil instead of motor oil. If the reason for filter oil is its clinginess for better long term filtration wouldn't it be the best product to use? Thoughts?

Philip

If you have BS38s, you'll want the 4200 filter, not the 4229. Apparently, the actual foam filter oil is too good for the black foam pods, too tacky causing them to clog. But go ahead and try it if you like, and let us know how it works out. I think gas may be detrimental to the foam if used for cleaning, where you're scrubbing and wringing the foam out. Apparently just brushed on and left to evaporate, it's not so bad.

As suggested on the Oz Uni filter site use a 50:50 petrol & engine oil mix, after you've soaked them, wring/squeeze them out before install.

Motocross racing for years.

Clean filter with gas by soaking in clean gas and swirling around to get dirt/oil out.

Wash in soapy water and then rinse with clean water.

Lightly blow dry with compressed air.

Apply 10-30 motor oil to outside sparingly.

Gently squeeze to distribute oil evenly throughout the filter.

Wrap filter in clean paper towel and gently squeeze to remove excess oil.

Install and ride on.

Enjoy!

Thanks for the input. I will stop overthinking it , and just do what has worked for others in the past.

Philip

Brian902... exact method i always use on all my foam filters! UNI's & Pro Design's for the most part, other than stock. Just installed UNI PK-82's on my '79 special & did just that. Mobil-1 oil & shop towels.

your headlight and color scheme is great by the way!

Last edited:
Ive got a set of those on my XS650.....and since Ive got tons of UNI filters on everything else (ATVs, dirt bikes etc)......Ive also got the filter cleaner and spray on oil.

Ive been running spray on oil on my UNIs for about 105 hrs (I dont have a speedometer).

Absolutely no problems....

Back