Uni Pods vs Cone Filters

B Burdine97

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
What is the exact different between uni pods and something like a K&N cone filter? Do uni pods resemble the stock air boxes just with little more air flow and cone filters provide the most air flow? Is there even a major difference? Ive read that a lot of times uni pods require little to no carb tunings.
Thanks!

I don't know if this will help, but, I chose pod filters because they flow better. Of course this was per something I read. In the end, unless you are looking to really tune for something like racing where every second counts, it's really a preference that will eventually be based on experience. I say this because tuning takes in allot of factors. Temp, octane, riding style, carb choice, etc... Go with your wallet, and preference for the look. At the end tuning can be done regardless of the filter.
I do think they are more like the stock filters due to the tech at the time.

There's a big thread on that here, maybe in the tech section. If you go with pleated filters get K&N's, the cheaper ones are known to block air passages on the bell end of the carb.

Unis are foam cylinder, and require jetting. The pleated filters disturb the air, causing fluttering of the slide. The uni foa or any foam does not disturb the air.
Also, the pleated (most of them ) have a larg flange that blocks the air jet and the oval vacuum hole that is needed for the slide to lift.
Constant Velocity carbs are finiky about there air.

Back