Unidentified part in shift fork area

Ludlow

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey all,

I'm swapping internals from my old engine with the cracked cases into my new cases. I figgured what the hell and had the rephase work done while I was at it. Thanks Hugh! Anyway, when I took the shift fork assembly apart, shazam! A piece appeared beneath the assembly that I couldn't ID. I checked all over and still don't know where it goes.

The only place that it might be a good fit is on the shift fork guide bar. I didn't see it in the exploded view drawing I found on another post, and I'd rather not take that shaft back out, those blasted cam followers are a pain to get back in right.

The part is a steel bushing that looks like one of the alignment sleeves on the casing bolt holes, only larger diameter. it's about 5/8" long and 1/2" OD with chamfered ends.

Anyway, if anyone knows where this goes, I could use the advice. Also, per Hugh, my engine has been mildly modified by some old time racers. Oversized connecting rods, grinder ballanced crank weights, rough porting on the head, that kind of stuff. Could this bushing be one of the mods - maybe a shift fork position limiter?

Thanks for any pointers you guys can give...

Attachments

• Mystery1.png
    Mystery1.png
    281.6 KB · Views: 137
  • Mystery2.png
    Mystery2.png
    241 KB · Views: 179
Last edited:
Man, that isn't it an alignment sleeve? You can see the wear marks meeting right in the middle and it is chamfered on each end. Looks definitely to have been used to locate two halves of an assembly.

That's exactly what I thought, but I can't find where it might have been. All the rest of the locating 'sleeves' are smaller around and they are all there on the case halves. I compared both sets of cases. I'm wondering if someone repurposed an alignment bushing from something else?

Attachments

• Wrong Size.png
    Wrong Size.png
    292.5 KB · Views: 132
Last edited:
Mystery solved - it is an alignment sleeve, only not for the case. I was cleaning up the cylinder jugs and realized one of the alignment sleeves for the rocker cover was missing. My part found it's home.

I have no idea how it got where I found it, I must have dropped it without noticing. :doh:

Back