...... Universal Disc Brakes ....... ?

Qimosabe

XS650 Member
Reaction score
...... Is there such a thing as universal disc brakes for Choppers or can I use any disc brake with the proper mounting ie .. welded tabs ..etc ... Any advice will help .....

Attachments

• 100_3889.jpg
    100_3889.jpg
    203.5 KB · Views: 233
.... true, there are plenty of aftermarket discs but they are designed for a particular brand or model bike. Same with stock parts. I am building a chopper off an aftermarket frame ..no brand, model,...... only that it is a hard tail. It does not have prefab motor mounts, fender mounts, exhaust tabs .. etc. Question really is ..... since I can't find a generic or universal disc brake setup ... could I use any disc brake say .. Yamaha or Suzuki, Honda .....and weld it in place and what do I have to look for ... for safety sake ...

Yes, any wheels with brakes and the braking system can be made to work on a custom frame. You need to get the wheels mounted and centered with brake rotors that fit your wheels. From there decide what calipers you want to use. Then either find caliper brackets that fit your calipers and look to be easy to mod to mount on your frame, or build your own brackets from scratch.
The brackets need to hold the calipers centered over the rotors. Be strongly mounted and braced to prevent turning when braking. You need stronger bracing if the caliper pushes on the bracing than if the caliper pulls on the bracing.
Leo

also if you are running xs forks, it doesn't matter what your frame is for the front brake. and on a chopper, id expect you'd be running a rear drum... what ever bike provided the forks, will have brakes that mount right up and are aligned. makes measurements for a custom application a lot easier

..... Thanks guys ..... you just confirmed what I thought had to be done. Gives me confidence to go forward on this project. I will be using a drum brake in the rear so that is taken care of. .. schlakeandbake308 ..... I do believe what you said, whatever forks I use I should aim for that brake caliper or make a brace for a different caliper. I have an idea what mild steel and carbon steel is but is that good enough to fabricate a STRONG brace..? What is considered STRONG .....? Thanks in advance .....

On the rear brake, if you look at the XS650 stock brake brace it's a piece of round steel tubing with reinforced ends. This is plenty strong because the stock set up pulls on this brace. On my 75 with a disc brake I modded to fit I use a piece of flat steel about 1 inch wide and about 3/16ths thick. It was a piece of scrap from work and has holes in it about every 3/4 inch. This made mounting the brake line along the brace easy.
On the front brake, if you are using the stock XS650 forks and not a stock caliper, many build a bracket that mounts to the lugs on the fork and has holes that fit a different caliper. The bracket they use is 3/8ths inch thick aluminum.
This is plenty strong.
I'm not sure about the brands people use but several use what they call a blue spot caliper. Tokico or Nissan maybe.
A search on this site will find the info.
Retired Gentleman has adapted one of these calipers to both the front and rear of his bike.
Upgrading the rubber lines to braided stainless steel is a good thing. The rubber lines swell under pressure, the stainless won't. This transmits more of your lever pull into braking power.
Leo

..... Thanks LEO, The frame is generic so I will have to fabricate some tabs and brace plates, the front end I bought off the back of a truck and there are no markings on it but it does have a prefab tab on it. Guess I'll make a brace plate and rig whatever brake caliper I end up with. Thanks for your input ......... going forward .....

Back