"Unplanned Dismantling"

Maybe the "Unplanned Dismantling" remark was tongue in cheek. Sorta like the NASCAR crew chief said when asked about his cars engine failure. "It had a oil containment problem." ie rod through the oil pan.
I'm not a Musk fan nor hater. I will say this for him he's not afraid to put his money where his mouth is.
NASA also had their share of failures.

It pinwheeled prior to 1st stage separation. I suppose Elon can spin that any way he wishes, but a loss of control that results in the destruction of the vehicle can hardly be called a success.
Did they gain valuable data? Lordy I hope so, they threw enough money at it, but let's call it what it is... the unscheduled destruction of the vehicle.
Playing the "lowered expectations" game by claiming anything past the launch tower is a success is just plain silly.
It blew up... that was an "unscheduled event." Success my ass.
Nasa early on learned that spin stabilizing (think rifling) kept rockets on course...

The incident below happened in a spin test facility. My understanding is that the rocket ignited when a large sheet of plastic was pulled off of the vehicle. They learned a lesson in static electricity and rocket fuel. This one involved loss of life.

Attachments

• 1682077241235.png
    1682077241235.png
    176.1 KB · Views: 56
I'm not a rocket scientist, but: I watched the launch and the video a couple more times.
several, 6? raptor motors either didn't fire or quit firing. There was a flame shooting sideways out of the boost stage, there was also evidence of trailing flame (dirty orange fire) from fuel that wasn't being properly combusted ie raw fuel being ignited by exhaust.
:twocents: with uneven (and sideways?) thrust the rocket began gyrating, steering inputs working hard to stabilize it, under those tremendous sideways forces getting the second stage to separate was near impossible. Bet they tried hard to get separation to salvage the mission. Once inability to separate and fire second stage was confirmed and flight path deviation was occurring, two separate (one for each stage) ground initiated destruction signals were (had to be) sent. IE They blew it up to prevent severe flight path deviation. Which could have resulted in a very large uncontrollable object going/crashing outside of the cleared flight path/debris field area.

Last edited:
I'm not a rocket scientist, but: I watched the launch and the video a couple more times.
several, 6? raptor motors either didn't fire or quit firing. There was a flame shooting sideways out of the boost stage, there was also evidence of trailing flame (dirty orange fire) from fuel that wasn't being properly combusted ie raw fuel being ignited by exhaust.
:twocents: with uneven (and sideways?) thrust the rocket began gyrating, steering inputs working hard to stabilize it, under those tremendous sideways forces getting the second stage to separate was near impossible. Bet they tried hard to get separation to salvage the mission. Once inability to separate and fire second stage was confirmed and flight path deviation was occurring, two separate (one for each stage) ground initiated destruction signals were (had to be) sent. IE They blew it up to prevent severe flight path deviation. Which could have resulted in a very large uncontrollable object going/crashing outside of the cleared flight path/debris field area.

Well spotted maybe you are a Rocket Scientist after all
( better the current staff there )

So to sum it up Mr Elon Musk is Lying as Mafiosi John Gotti in court -- when the witnesses having a bad Memory and some have disappeared -- am I right ??

Or to put it as Mr Jim " A Failure " clear and evident .. things falling out of the Sky .. keeping it simple Is that good or is that bad .. ??

Maybe the "Unplanned Dismantling" remark was tongue in cheek. Sorta like the NASCAR crew chief said when asked about his cars engine failure. "It had a oil containment problem." ie rod through the oil pan.
I'm not a Musk fan nor hater. I will say this for him he's not afraid to put his money where his mouth is.
NASA also had their share of failures.
Or the other retort , "we let the smoke out"

Another
It seems the launch pad may have been the largest issue.
But we are ONE DAY out from the event. Debugging takes a bit of time. ;^)

The incident below happened in a spin test facility. My understanding is that the rocket ignited when a large sheet of plastic was pulled off of the vehicle. They learned a lesson in static electricity and rocket fuel. This one involved loss of life.
Interesting to see the Cape Kennedy nomenclature. I see the Floridian asshats didn't like the name and changed it in 1973, which surprised me, as I was sure I'd heard it referred to as Kennedy long after that.

Interesting to see the Cape Kennedy nomenclature. I see the Floridian asshats didn't like the name and changed it in 1973, which surprised me, as I was sure I'd heard it referred to as Kennedy long after that.
Without looking it up, I think that incident was 1964.

The cape was renamed back to Cape Canaveral. However, NASA's Kennedy Space Center, located on Cape Canaveral, retained the Kennedy name.

thinking out loud
rocket flame straight into ground might not work for a big heavy rocket.
it does for smaller surface to air missiles that leaves ground quick
And those that leaves at an angle
but bigger ones takes time to accelerate ---- can be a problem
NASA had the solution but needs space to build and takes time.

I get the feeling they knew something serious was wrong and they said, "Fuck it, run it." I doubt de-fuelling a rocket was worth it.

What's the quickest way to get rid of half a billion $ in unwanted outdated parts and get a cubic s ton of free publicity?
Light em on fire!

Last edited:
Back