Update to no spark, think it's the coil

SDLars

XS650 Member
Reaction score
This goes back to the thread I posted a couple of days ago. 81 Special II. Had one very similar to it back when they were new. Done a fair amount of wrenching over the years but most of the stuff on this bike is new to me. Didn't have to do much work on my 650 36 years ago.
Thought at first I had a coil problem. No spark. One second everything was fine and the next it just died.
Got things apart and checked out. Ohm numbers: primary coil - 2.6, rotor - 5.3, pickup coil - 9.4. Pickup coil number is from placing the meter probes on the two contact points of the pickup coil. Not sure that's correct? Haynes manual says that should read 700 +/- 10%. Unsure on how to check the secondary coil.
Thanks for your help!

On the secondary coil windings test from cap to cap. I have always gotten a higher test than the manual calls for about 21K.
For the pick up check from blk to gray and then blk to orange.

On the secondary coil windings test from cap to cap. I have always gotten a higher test than the manual calls for about 21K.
For the pick up check from blk to gray and then blk to orange.
Thanks! Just what I needed. Everything checks out but still no spark. I'm missing something simple. Can't quite believe it's the TCI. Suggestions?

Back