Upgrading Fuel System

diab

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm planning on replacing my exhaust and perhaps putting on pods. From what I have gathered, I will have to rejet my carbs after doing that. What is involved for that? I don't want to just have to buy a bunch of different needles, so can anyone point me in the right direction? Thanks.

I have BS34s. I plan on getting the commando exhaust from mikes when it's back in stock. And probably k&n pods.

I have never used them, but the experts on this forum do not like the K&N pods. They like UNI pods, and so do I. I don't have the part number for BS34s, do a search.

Read the guide referenced above, but this will probably get you close enough: Go up one size on the pilots to 45, and go up 3 sizes on the mains to 140. Make sure you get the right kind of pilots and mains -- see post 10 in the guide. This assumes UNI filters and a more or less "normal" aftermarket exhaust. If you go to crazy pipes, or short pipes, or drag pipes, or some other very free-flowing exhaust, then go up 4 sizes on the mains to 142.5

I have had good luck with foam pods. The K&N types allow too much turbulence at the edges of the carbs where the air ports reside. Foam deadens that so it's less of an issue. The difference is substantial, IMO.

With unis and commando exhaust on usa bs34, i was at 142.5 mj, and 45 pilot on my new engine. The bleed over was to much, had a bad rich spot i made better by thinning the plastic donut that the needles sit on. I could get it close, at 3000 rpm, the cut out was almost gone...but any leaner on the needles than where i was now made bad leansurge while cruising...so i shimmed them back to where the sirge was gone..but still cut out under hard throttle around 3k. This is where a swap to the canadian needle and needle jet is needed. But i bought a set of ex500 carbs instead. Not saying you will have the same issues, perhaps thats why cdn bs34 came with adjustable needles in the first place.

Last edited:
Back