Upper triple not lining up after installing second fork tube?

Garage Specialty

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
After inserting the first fork tube everything goes in and lines up smoothly but inserting the second fork through the lower triple and lining up with the upper it is a few mm’s off and I have to force the tube to line up with the upper. Any possibility my upper is bent/tweaked or is this normal for the xs? Never had an issue on the 4-5 bikes Front ends I’ve worked on.

Bent fork tube is likely. Keep the second fork out, put a wrench on the fork installed with loose clamps, and spin it . One if not both have run out.

It usually is the triple, the lower one most times. Many times, with both tubes clamped in the lower tree, you can stick a long 2 x 4 between them and "tweak" them back into alignment, straightening the lower tree in the process.

If your bike has been in a front end collision, the lower triple tree may be bent. My bike had been in a collision and my lower triple was bent. Your fork tubes may be straight but the lower may be bent.
The good news is that the lower triple is steel, and it can be re-straightened. You need a glass surface. Set the lower triple on the glass. It will be obvious if its bent. You would have to re-mount the fork tubes into the lower triple and use a 2 X 4 length of wood to twist until the lower is true. After twisting, set it back on the glass. Keep at it until it sits flat on the glass. That's how I did mine and its been perfect ever since.

My own experience...........my right side fork tube was bent, checked by rolling it on my table saw. I bought some '75 forks, then I discovered my lower tree was bent, not real bad. I used my old bent tube tightened into the lower tree to tweak it back. Granted, I could have tweaked the wrong side of the tree without disassembling the tree and checking on a flat surface with a square, but I'm sure I got it right.

Scott

Last edited:
Back