Urgently need Mikuni VM36 help please...

What I'm suggesting is that you work the steps and find out where your idle mixture is. When you started out I had no idea that you weren't trying to adjust the idle speed a little when you tried to come off the choke, and figured a lean mixture was killing the engine. I then gave you a procedure to follow for an initial setting of the air screw. That procedure will let the engine tell you if the mixture is right. If you can't tell whether the engine is running rich or lean at idle, install some fresh plugs and look at them. I doubt that #25 pilots would be too lean, but I know nothing about your intake and exhaust components. If you still have the generic Q2 needle jets in place you're going to have quite a struggle ahead of you.

A lean condition is usually signaled by hard, sharp misfires in transitions. A rich condition is usually signaled by a "soft" throttle, sputtering, smoke, sooty plugs, etc. Don't expect to be able to whack the throttle open without hesitation from the engine. Use a fast, smooth roll.

I've referred you to what I wrote for 650 Garage and to the Sudco Mikuni Tuning Manual, which has a very fine list of diagnostics. I don't have much to add to that.

griz, I definitely have the "original equipment" needle jet in place. All I have done is installed a 25 pilot and a 210 main. I'm certainly willing to replace the Q2 according to your best judgment if it will optimize my efforts.

In the interim, I posted my "plan" in the other thread, the first part of which is to try to follow your air screw procedure. The plugs I used for today's relatively successful session were new OEM ones, so I'll have a look at those before doing anything further.

When you started out I had no idea that you weren't trying to adjust the idle speed a little when you tried to come off the choke, and figured a lean mixture was killing the engine.

Yup, yesterday, I was just trying to get the bike to run for longer than 30 seconds or a minute, and figured it was flooding, in part because the plugs seemed fouled. Backing out on the air screw seems to be the one thing that has gotten me this far.

I'll look at your references too, and will keep you posted in the other thread.

Thanks very much again, sir!

Hey TC what did you come up with for a throttle cable? I currently setting up my 2into1 and can't find one. Also where did you end up at with your jets and needle? Thanks

Back