used engine cost, where to buy

cmills83

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I bought a frame and engine, it spins freely but the valve covers were off and part of the ingnition? on the side of the head is gone, which is never a good sign. So just incase its bad, where is a good place to find a good running used engine, 80+? (earlier engine won't pass CA inspection on a '80 frame). I only see one on ebay but 750 sounds a little high, what is a decent price?

Keep checking that craigslist mane shipping is what kills us in California the guys back east I read about them picking up multiple bikes for under 2000 but in California we gotta keep the search up.

an 81 or later engine doesn't have those ignition parts, it's electronic, uses pickups on the stator frame. DOT won't know shit about which engine number you have they all look the same.

Wife and I been talking about a Sillyfornia road trip I aught to bring you guys out a load of stuff.

Wife and I been talking about a Sillyfornia road trip I aught to bring you guys out a load of stuff.

Please do, these bikes are scarce out here and parts are even harder to find. XS650's are sold within a week around LA, I ended up with a frame with no title and a motor that probably doesn't work $350.

an 81 or later engine doesn't have those ignition parts, it's electronic, uses pickups on the stator frame. DOT won't know shit about which engine number you have they all look the same.

So if I need a 1980 or newer motor, only a 1980 will work unless I change out the ignition, etc?

No any engine will work, your late model stator will bolt on an older engine with the ignition pick ups OR you could get coils and condensors for a points engine OR you can buy a Pamco ignition system from mikesXS. But from your description you don't have the other components you would need for the electronic ignition anyways. So the best bet would probably be a pamco set up in any case.
Check compression on what you got, if you get around 100 PSI on both sides you probably have a runner already. We have a BIG van.............:rolleyes:
:smoke:

I bought a frame and engine, it spins freely but the valve covers were off and part of the ingnition? on the side of the head is gone, which is never a good sign. So just incase its bad, where is a good place to find a good running used engine, 80+? (earlier engine won't pass CA inspection on a '80 frame). I only see one on ebay but 750 sounds a little high, what is a decent price?

they smog check bikes in LA? WTF?

So if I need a 1980 or newer motor, only a 1980 will work unless I change out the ignition, etc?

I would change out the ignition regardless haha. I have a 1980 TCI box if you find one with points and want to "fake it" It was the first thing that i ripped off my engine. Point is i wouldn't choose to go back to a TCI ignition.

i have a 77 no turn signals horn odometer speedometer they signed me right off i dont even have a brake light just a running light its who you get at the dmv some know what there talking about and some dont its who you get

No, but I don't think the motor can be older than the frame.

They do an inspection - pre-75 anything goes, I dont have mirrors or turn signals on my R5 but after 75 you need everything in some form or another.

are you sure that applies to bikes?

Keep checking that craigslist mane shipping is what kills us in California the guys back east I read about them picking up multiple bikes for under 2000 but in California we gotta keep the search up.

I live in San Francisco and I have picked up 3 bikes in the last year. 2 for $300 and 1 for $250. All with titles and complete.

They were ugly and in various states of disarray but much cheaper than what most people pick stuff up for.

There are great deals out there. You just have to have patience and look every day and deals come up all the time.

Talk to the old dirt tracker guys, theres a ton of 'em in CA and a lot of them rode xs650's around the track. They are an invaluable source for parts, repairs, purchasing bikes, etc.

Back