Using a 16inch spoke rear rim in the front of my bike.

tbone1980

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone has thought about using a 16 inch rear rim as a front wheel? I think I really like the look of having a 16inch rear and front rim on my bike. Any ideas on how to make this happen? Thanks for your help.

Guess if you want a drum front brake and a rather ugly spot where the sprocket was... Might be easier to adapt a Harley 16" front wheel or lace a 16" rim to a (non heritage) front hub.

One of those anything can be done but not simple deals. There is no simple way to get the Heritage rear spoke pattern on a front hub. it is what? 48 spoke IIRC the reg front hub is 36? and the heritage is 64?

I had a feeling this was going to be a challenge! I will have to Checkout the spoke count when I get home but I believe you are right with your numbers. I was hoping someone knew of a way to make this happen. Thanks for your help so far!

I think I would get a harley wheel n make an axel. I have seen this on here before just don't remember where cuz I didn't like it. So one will chime in that's has it or has done it.

Thanks for the info. I guess my other option is to go with an 18 on the front and back. Does anyone know what year to use for the rear and front?

Mikes XS sells an 18" alloy rim to fit the rear 36 spokes spokes but at a slightly different angle, may not be a big deal, but finding the correct spokes to match the rim to the hub will be a bit of a challenge or send a hub to http://www.buchananspokes.net/ and they will send it back with an 18" laced to it. That will cure the limp you have because of the huge wad of cash in your wallet too. But why not just use 18 rear 19 front, it would take a finer eye than mine to tell the difference when mounted.

Well I did end up buying a 16" 36 spoke rear rim and front hub from a member on this site and just received it on Monday. I sent a email to Buchanan to ask them about getting spokes for this setup. Below is what they said:

We can determine the spoke length no problem. the only problem that we can see is that the drilling angle of that rim will not match to the smaller diameter front hub. once the wheel is laced and trued, the spokes will be bowing. If the rim is aluminum, you might be able to re-angle the holes to work better.

I am hoping that reworking the holes isn't to bad. Does anyone have suggestions or experience with doing this?

First lace it up finger tight and mark the holes where the spokes are binding(bent). Then unlace and use a drill with a bit that is the same size as the spoke holes and change the angle of the holes so the spokes no longer bend. Be careful to not enlarge the holes too much. Use a small file on the sharp edge of the hole to minimize the chrome peeling.

Well that certainly sounds pretty easy. I am excited to see what it will look like when it is done. I will be running also running the original 16" on the back. Once I finally get my front back together I will be able to see if a 130/90 tire will fit fine between the front forks....

a 130 will fit, you may need to unbolt the caliper to move it to get the wheel and tire in, then bolt it back up when it is in place.

use a front if you can find one, or use a rear mounted backwards. The shinko's I run are non directional and can be used on the front or rear.

I think I am going to get the Shinko 777's. They sell a front and rear version that look exactly the same. Has anyone used these? Also they say tubeless but I should be able to use a tube in them right?

Back