Using motocross rims.. safe?

ryno

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
This may sound silly, but since finding a 19" 36 spoke rim seems almost impossible. Would it be safe to use an excel rim say for a dirtbike, or does it not have the integrity?
Any other options would be welcome too. ;-)

Thanks

Lots of guys use 21" dirt bike front wheels for chopper builds. I think hugh even used an old Ossa on his black and white XS? I could be wrong...

Gotta remember these things are flying 30ft in the air!

I would assume its safe, but I would get an excel or a talon or the likes rim. Old stocky dirtbike rims are like butter, ask me how I know...

Last edited:
I'd be buying new lol. Being a motocross rider myself, I know what kind of abuse they get, lol.
Actually I forgot that Mike'sXS sells rims.. Hmmm.

I have old motocross rims laced into the original hubs on my RD350. Works great. It took me a while to find straight, not tire ironed with a crowbar ones though.

I landed front wheel first on a 45ft triple once, broke my collar bone but didn't do shit to the wheel.
IMHO it would be fine.

Going by the crap I hit over the years racing off road (rocks, downed trees, you name it) and never damaging a rim I'd say you are more than safe.

My front rim on my Black and White bike is from a 1968 Ossa Dirtbike... It was pretty beat, but It cleaned up well. The rear is from a 1973 Husqvarna (sp) Dirtbike, and was about the same. But, these were genuine Akront rims, not the softer and cheaper Jap versions... Quality parts can last a long time...

Back