valve clearance adjustment tool

luugo86

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hey guys
Is there a way to get hold of a valve adjustment tool for a '78 XS650.. or is there an alternative to this tool that someone has figured out... also.. does anyone know a good resource for getting carb jets for these bikes... all help is greatly appreciated.. thanks guys

-Dave

A small wrench, and a 12mm and 13mm wrench is all you need for the valves. You don't need a special tool. the valve adjusters are easy to get to. Try adjusting valve on a 1972 Honda xl!
I go thru jets r us, or niche cyle source for jets.usually, dealers have a box of jets you can paw thru.

Do you mean a special tool for adjusting valve clearances? If so, not needed. Feeler gauge and a couple open end wrenches. One is small. Needle nose pliers and a gentle touch might work there also.

Never use pliers on a nut or bolt head, (as per tappet), because they will always cause damage. These Tappets and lock nut need to be nipped up tight. Not excessively as that can cause the threads to stretch.

Gett the proper tool, or make one, (there is a thread about this on here some where), shifters are not the best to use either unless they are very good quality with little or next to no play in the jaws

I just use my fingers to turn the screw. Works fine. If you want to use a tool loosen the nut, pull the adjuster screw, grind the square off, cut a slot in the screw, so a flat blade screwdriver fits.
Reinstall the screw and nut, adjust the clearance, lock it down. Good to go.
Leo

Just take a scrape piece of aluminum or even steel approximately the size of a popsicle stick then using the edge of a small flat file to file a slot in it. Bend it up in your vise to an angle that's comfy and round off the edges and BAM you saved $10 bucks.LOL

Or use your spoke wrench if you already have one!

Posted via Mobile

To a certain extent yes, If it changes as you snug the nut, reset to a different setting to compensate. Not that hard to do.
Leo

To a certain extent yes, If it changes as you snug the nut, reset to a different setting to compensate. Not that hard to do.
Leo

I agree to an extent Leo, but for a newbie and even others to set the Tappets correctly then the tools are a requirement to get it correct. Near enough is what will happen, is that what your advocating?

Last edited:
New guys haven't developed the skill set yet. I know, I help lots of them around town. They come at the bike with the tools in their hands like they're ready to stab the thing, lol. Yes, I'm easily amused.

I agree to an extent Leo, but for a newbie and even others to set the points correctly then the tools are a requirement to get it correct. Near enough is what will happen, is that what your advocating?

Points :umm: ? I thought we was du n valve add jus ment so my answer is fur valves.

Well if he isn't I will. Even with the "correct" tools the the amount of drag on a friction check will vary, especially if you throw different people into the mix. Isn't that what checking valves with a feeler gauge is? Friction fitting?
I tighten with my fingers, back off 1/8 turn and tighten. The drag produced by the nut on the adjuster will take up that 1/8 turn.

The blade on a cut off saw will make a satisfactory notch in a piece pf scrap strap if you need a tool.

Ha, ha, ha, did i write points.....yes i did, i'll correct that.

XSLeo's post #8 come across as that, and for novice/newbies it could be problematic

I don't use a torque wrench for most of my chassis bolts but don't tell/recommend this to newbies .................... because....................

Not only did I mention using my fingers I also mentioned how to mod the adjusters so a screwdriver works.
I have no Idea just how new the OP is to working on an engine. He didn't mention that.
He may only have 8 posts but that just means he's new to posting.
Leo

Hey guys.. Thank you all for the replies. I was able to locate a valve tool on mikesXS fairly cheap. Ive been working on bikes for a while, but fairly new to the XS650 platform. I just wanted to see what words of wisdom the community had to offer. Again I appreciate the replies.

That being said.. I adjusted my vavles to spec as per the manual.. Took it for a test ride.. the bike feels a good deal smoother through the throttle range, however, it feel like I can still hear quite a bit of valve chatter... is this something that is just common with these bikes? Again, I am fairly new to the XS650 so I figured I would ask. If its just the way the bikes sound that's fine.. if not, do you guys recommend going with a little more or less friction on the feeler gauges. Thanks in advance guys.

-Luugo

The spec for the '78 intakes is .10mm or about .004". If you run that, many times the valves will tick. Most of us use .003" on our intakes. I know .001" doesn't seem like much but it quieted the intakes on my '78 right down. They ticked like crazy using .004". You should also be checking the cam chain prior to doing the valves. A loose cam chain can sound just like loose valves.

Sound good.. Thanks a lot guys.. It actually sounds exactly like a sewing machine! That is a great piece of wisdom right there.. thanks @Richardthemotorcycle1
.. Im one of those guys that if anything sounds a bit off or feels off I just cant rest easy lol..
I will try my intake valves at .003" just to see how it sounds and feels.. Thanks @5twins

Back