Valve clearance results- Feedback please

nickmo

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just checked my valve clearances, planning on adjusting them, but they seem to be pretty well on- except for the left side intake.

LS-
Exhaust-0.005
Intake-0.0015

RS-
Exhaust-0.005
Intake-0.003

I plan to just go ahead and adjust it while I'm in there, but for future reference, will this clearance number on the intake cause any problems?

Thanks.

The valve clearance specs varied a lot over the years. On the 70 - 73 models they speced .003 intake, .006 exhaust. From 74 on they tried any where from .002 to .004 intake and .004 to .006 exhaust. Most have found the .003 Intake and .006 Exhaust works pretty well. The tighter clearances are a bit quieter but more apt to burn valves.
Thats with the engine dead cold. Let it set over night cold.
Leo

Its a 79. I agree with not adjusting unless necessary, I just wasn't sure how big of a difference .0015 would make. In the grand scheme it's a small distance, as far as the valves are concerned though, I was afraid it might make a big difference.

Both intakes are set at 0.003 now, I just thought I'd check so that next time I know.

With that much clearance variation it would probably have a noticeable effect on valve timing between the cylinders, which would have a noticeable effect on cylinder filling between the cylinders, which you would feel as vibration.
I'd probably say this: unless you have a degree wheel and a dial indicator to set both intake valve close points identically, you'd be best off setting them to the same clearance.

Clear as mud?
E

Back