valve guide/seals white smoke left... didnt before the rebuild!!

urbandork

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok so i recently put in a 750 kit and performance cam and valve springs... ... the dang thing didnt smoke before but now it has white smoke from the exhaust only on start up, once it warms up it goes away.

I dont understand why the valve guides are acting up now after the motor is all together... ... the cam and valve spring set from mikes came with new valve stem seals which i put on so they are new too... the only thing not new are the valve guides... but they were fine before the rebuild...

Why NOW?.?.? any advice short of pulling the head off and replacing them?

so far ive double checked my valve clearances and with a screw driver cafefully made sure the valve stem seal is seated properly. smoke only comes out on the left side btw

other than the guides,did you check the valve stems for wear? It's either the guides,valve stems or guide seals. Another possibility could be that the elastic band might of popped off the guide seal.

the valves are SS and only have a few hundred miles on them since i changed them out last year along with new valve steem seals (burnt oil badly before out of the same left hand cylinder exhaust side because the bike sat for years... but after replaceing the valve stem seal there was no smoke... so i assumed that the valve guide was still good and that it was only the seal) ... now i have the seal from the cam set from mikes on and smokes until warmed up. Maybe the valve seal from the cam set was bad??? cus it didnt leak before with the same valve and guide in.

i took a look while double checking the adjustment and the spring band is in place.

I hate to be a pain in the butt but me thinks you have to pull the head back off and replace the guides/valves which is not that an expensive excersise but worth it in the end.
Prbly do a comp test before though might give U an idea at what you're looking at.
Good Luck.

i did a compression test and both cylinders are reading around 110 lbs/sq. in. is this normal? Im pretty sure the cam has more duration right? which cuts down on compression. what should the compression reading be for a new 750 kit with a cam. (held throttle open)

also the white blue smoke use to go away after warm up but now it doesnt... could this mean that the new rings and cylinders are causing the smoke???:eek: I know i installed the gaps in the rings 60 degrees apart from one and other.

:wtf::banghead:

Back