valve lash question

gravelman

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
howdy guys i have a question on valve lash does anyone with the early 70 -73 actually run 006 int and 0012 ext lash .iwas reading the specs and i think thats a little wide myself and wuld probly be real noisy i have been running 004 -and 006 .and the bike performs well with not to much tappet noise so i was wondering if any if u guys where running the wide gap i just dont want to do it any harm my bike is 1972 xs2 any input be welcome thanks joe

Wow, I just set the valves on the 73 I'm working on and just used .025 and .06 because that's the spec I'm used to on the later bikes. Sounded good when i fired it up...... That was about where they were when I checked them also.

On my 71 I ran .003 and .006 because that's what it recommended in the Yamaha manual for it. I experimented with going up a thou or two on each. Going bigger changed the sound and feel a bit. Bit sharper exhaust pops, I think a bit more low rpm torque. Didn't notice any extra tappet noise but it's a real noisy engine to start with so who knows. I went back to doing a bit of a loose slip fit at the stock numbers and never thought about it again.

thanks alot guys i just wanted to get some feed back on the topic i thing i will stay with the tighter clearnce may be 04 06 thanks for ur in put joe

Back