Valve sound or something else?!

vsop-dk

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Hi you all, have been riding a bit and think the sound spectre has changed a bit and were wondering wether its the sound of valves need to be adjusted I hear.

https://clyp.it/search?type=hashtag&query=Xs650Sound

Valve sound is more like ticking, think this is more hammering than ticking sound.. anyways sound is more hard.

Any iseas you wiz ;):bike:

Summer greetings from Denmark.

Thanks Weston, ive started the adjustment and initial shows is that the pin for the cam chain tensioner is far out, it pinned out 1cm so its been adjusted and now im about to adjust the valves. ;) initial adjustment made my exhaust sound strange, so need to walk over the adjustment again... Thanks:bike:

If the pin was sticking out that much, it sounds like the cam chain tensioner was too tight. I had an xs a few years ago where the PO had the cam chain adjusted too tight. I thought the motor was knocking and needed a rebuild. Adjusted the cam chain and valves and it sounded just right. And ran even better.

Thanks Weston, yes im having the same sensation and the cam chain is fixed, just need to adjust the valves again... Thanks...:bike:

Ok, status as of now is that I've tried various things to settle and quiet down the rattling sound. I managed initially to adjust it to a level where it sounded Ok, but something were still off!! So I decided to remove the camchain adjuster assembly to see if everything were as it should be.

I've looked up the various assemblies and I should have had a model D as my engine is a 77 but the assembly looked like a E model....

I wanted to see if everything were as illustrated with the copper washer etc.

Soooo.... ;) unscrewed it all, this shows up.

6BBCA4EA-2374-4810-9515-FEAA4504C255_zps9otfzflf.jpg

Hmm I think that looks odd....

The head on the rod seems missing, so I carefully put my rubber clove finger into the hole where the rod goes and tick tack tick I hear that the head tangles into the engine and down....

WTF dang dang dang....

So I took a microcam and tried sourcing the head inside the engine but it's gone deep.

So I guess I'm up for a teardown I guess.... Engine only has 1000km in it now since complete rebuild.

This is how the head looks like now.

7B1380C9-1D59-4747-89E2-6856B2D52186_zpsfn6mdodr.jpg

Is that something that just happens? Are the rods prune for such thing?

I'm in for the winter at least I know what todo. Hehe

Definately worth a try indeed ;) right now im just a bit off... better wait until moode kicks in again ;)

Hmm.. trying to source a flexible magnet and allso, you guys knowing the internals of the engine... Know when the end of the rod is in the engine, can it fall down into the sump or where does it end up at? is it free passage down below all vitals or should I look elsewhere?

2015-08-17_08-30-32_zpsuhdfuawz.png

Thanks yall ;)

Last edited:
You should be able to get it without opening up the motor completely. I would get a magnet and go fishing... You could also take the sump of the bottom of the motor... the piece might have already got caught in the magnet by the sump filter...

As to why that separated... i have no idea... Does it look broken on the end?

Hi Weston, thanks for the response ;)

Well, it doesnt look broken, kind of looks polisked on the tip, hence my question wether the tip can be seperated by pulling it off the rod. On all pictures I see its one part and not two... Im a bit puzzled what went down, but ill try with flexible neodyne magnets and the sump aswell...

;) dang its my luck weather is beautifull today.... :banghead::bike:

Hey ya all. Just a quick update on this thread, I've managed today with a flexible magnet fishing out the head of the rod Wich were the lost one and assembled it all together again and Allso fabricated a nylon washer to silence the sound. I'll update with new sound and look layer. Thanks ;)

For everyones record and comparacy checklist here are the sound when the chainguard were reassembled and adjusted accordingly.

There were no valve ticking at intitial start aswell, so overall this has helped alot.

https://clyp.it/rm4iohph

sound clip above, pictures below with the fixes and tool I used fixing the tip out of the engine. :bike:

A2140E98-733E-4687-BE47-94391DC8869A_zpssqfue9pb.jpg

Hi there,

Im trying to find the reason for my engine ticking. Only happens to me when the engine is warm. Valves have been adjusted and there is only 6500 miles on the clock so I would not think it is the cam chain its self.
Did the nylon washer completely solve your ticking issues?

Thanks
Mat

Back