Valves

kuthe64

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had to readjust my valves and i got the exhaust right, i would get the intake right, run a compression and then the intake would be too loose. i did that about 4 times and every time i got the intake right i would test it and it would be too lose again, any ideas there? and the exhaust which i set to the the correct mm sounded 10 times worse once i started it back up. And one more thing was that when i lined everything up to TDC the rocker arms were not free to move everytime, maybe the TDC is just before the line? I have an 81 xs650 special, any help would be greatly appreciated.

After doing some more research on this forum a lot of people are suggesting .04 for the exhaust, just wonder what everyone else thinks

On a 4 stroke engine the crank shaft makes 2 revolutions for each cam rotation.
So if the valves are tight on TDC rotate the crank CCW one revolution to TDC and the valves should be loose again on the cylinder that you are working on.

ALWAYS TURN CCW AND STOP ON TDC this will keep any slack in the cam chain on the tensioner side of the sprockets as if the engine were running

1...adjust the camchain
ALL VALVE ADJUSTMENTS ARE DONE ON A COLD ENGINE
2...align the timing mark to TDC for the left cylinder(valves loose)
3...adjust valves on left cylinder
4...rotoate crankshaft one revolution CCW to TDC timing mark, this selects the right cylinder(right cylinder valves should be loose
5...adjust valves for the right cylinder
6...after adjusting valves rotate the engine one rotation to TDC and and check opposite cylinder
7...repeat step 6 so both cylinders are double checked
8... start engine and check the timing chain adjustment.
9...If you have pionts check the ignition advance unit for freedom of movement and snap back to base timing.
10..check ignition timing

Riksoto

Last edited:
Back