Van Go

Yeah, the British language takes a bit to get used to. I lived just on the edge of a little town called Bicester, in Oxfordshire.
The C and E are silent. It's pronounce Bister. Go figure... :umm:
Oh, place names spelt so as to trip up furriners, which means anybody from anyplace beyond the next village! Plenty of them in all parts of the UK, an endless source of all things from amusement to mild embarrassment to actual confusion.

Working in Northampton, just arrived, we had visited the village of Coggenhoe at the weekend. Back in the office on Monday, I told them I was not at all sure how that is pronounced. But they would not say anything until I had a go. So obligingly I sez 'Coggenhoe!' and of course they all fall about in laughter. 'Oh you mean you went to Cooknow!' sez one sufficiently recovered from splitting her sides with mirth.

Buccleuch? Milngavie? Drumelzier? Hawick? Silent letters or not the sounds you'd expect or many other traps for the newcomer. Must be hundreds if not thousands. Heck, I still laugh when N Americans say 'Edinburg' not Edinburgh.

Last edited:
I remember my first day in town... stopped at a fish-n-chips shop. Mentioned that "BiCHESTER" seamed like a nice little place. Was giggles all 'round. Finally one of the girls said "no mate, it's called "Bister." A little red faced, but the fish was excellent. :laugh2:

You know off the top of your head if FORScan will do the job? I do know it'll read the ABS hcu, so I assume it will??
I'll be honest, I don't have a lot of experience w/ FORscan. I'm an OE guy; I have unfettered access to IDS/FDRS/VMS, as that's what I need to teach. I need to spend more time with FORscan. However, I would suspect it's capable of the service bleed function.

Unrelated, but I'm currently trying to teach myself Blender... without much success :D

Oh, place names spelt so as to trip up furriners, which means anybody from anyplace beyond the next village! Plenty of them in all parts of the UK, an endless source of all things from amusement to mild embarrassment to actual confusion.

Working in Northampton, just arrived, we had visited the village of Coggenhoe at the weekend. Back in the office on Monday, I told them I was not at all sure how that is pronounced. But they would not say anything until I had a go. So obligingly I sez 'Coggenhoe!' and of course they all fall about in laughter. 'Oh you mean you went to Cooknow!' sez one sufficiently recovered from splitting her sides with mirth.

Buccleuch? Milngavie? Drumelzier? Hawick? Silent letters or not the sounds you'd expect or many other traps for the newcomer. Must be hundreds if not thousands. Heck, I still laugh when N Americans say 'Edinburg' not Edinburgh.
Your all lucky to live with English
just try the Welsh Town of: Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch

Currently 95° with a 100° heat index.... woof... anyway...

I'll be 69 in a few weeks... Sue's just past 61... we both agree that a shower/toilet's mandatory. I cut some 1/4" X 1-1/2 strips for easy curving along the walls. Screwed and glued a stack of 4 to the walls. These are mounting points for the fore and aft walls. Been saving up cardboard for a while now, used that to make a pattern for the walls.

1693780350138.png

Cut the walls out of 1/2" ply...

1693780406347.png

...and here we are.

1693780474854.png

1693780497603.png

1693780519953.png

I'll use some West Epoxy and 3 or 4 layers of glass to "tab" the walls to the roof, since it's fiberglass.... like you'd do on a boat.
Beyond that? I'm kinda wingin' it here, so who knows.

Currently 95° with a 100° heat index.... woof... anyway...

I'll be 69 in a few weeks... Sue's just past 61... we both agree that a shower/toilet's mandatory. I cut some 1/4" X 1-1/2 strips for easy curving along the walls. Screwed and glued a stack of 4 to the walls. These are mounting points for the fore and aft walls. Been saving up cardboard for a while now, used that to make a pattern for the walls.

View attachment 250732

Cut the walls out of 1/2" ply...

View attachment 250733

...and here we are.

View attachment 250734

View attachment 250735

View attachment 250736

I'll use some West Epoxy and 3 or 4 layers of glass to "tab" the walls to the roof, since it's fiberglass.... like you'd do on a boat.
Beyond that? I'm kinda wingin' it here, so who knows.
I love West epoxy. It's worth the extra cost just in predictability (set up time/curing) and no fumes, plus clean up is easier, IMHO. Nice work Jim!

I love West epoxy. It's worth the extra cost just in predictability (set up time/curing) and no fumes, plus clean up is easier, IMHO. Nice work Jim!
Thanks!
Yeah, for ease of use and strength, the West systems are hard to beat.

Mostly it's a shower. The toilet side of things is for middle of the night pee's and such. Times when you're not in the mood to walk to the facilities.
Easy for a guy to have a pee but more challenging for the ladies.. I know my wife would appreciate an indoor powder room. As we grow older it’s interesting how important washroom facilities become. Now when I plan a trip I always research where the washrooms will be. That will be quite the unit when completed!

We were just talking about mini motor homes the other night and my brother in law said a Sprinter motor home is worth more than $200K. I didn’t believe him, then I stumbled onto this….😳

IMG_3715.png

Last edited:
Oh I've got some "dry camp" stories....
Been looking at used van campers of all sorts, Came "THIS CLOSE" but Think this fall's trip will just be the 4WD window van. Not least cuz I want to "back country" adventure a bit and anything with motorhome bits gets clearance limited pretty fast.
Great work, and love following the build.

^^^One of several reasons I never saw the attraction. I can stay in some VERY nice hotels for that kind of scratch!
My dad and I had an old Rockwood class "C" which we used while racing and it was worth it for that. The wife and I thought about getting another beater M/H, but unless you can store it in an almost airtight facility, you will inherit critters of all kinds that like to live in comfort too. Plus, unless you are using it on a regular basis, every trip requires days of little fixes to the varied systems, especially on older units. The last time I slept on the ground was 10 years ago at the 150th Chickamauga re-enactment, hips and back don't like it.

Back