Van Islander's TX650A - Quest for a Daily Rider

Next was the terrifying application of the decals. There was a lot of measuring and contemplation. I'm ok with not doing that on a regular basis. I also luckily got the original airboxes with the bike. It had the pleated Mikes XS cone style filters on it when I bought it, so those came off. They looked cool but I followed much advise on this forum and ditched them. I did a rattle can paint job on those.

20200507 decal figuring.jpg
20200511 decal installed on tank.jpg
20200423_122758.jpg
20200322 original air boxes.jpg
20200503 rattle can airbox repaint.jpg

A few more shots of assembly. Hope it's ok to flood you guys with photos. Sort of weird to keep posting all of this stuff, but I have some catching up to do! I did install new spark plugs, wires, coils, kept the newer points and followed directions for static timing. Start up was close!
20200509_134035.jpg
20200509_202744.jpg
20200510_090326.jpg
20200511_213145.jpg

That brings back memories of 1975 when I had one just like yours
Bought it for $1100 and it had 1100 miles on it when I got it
bought with my student loan money (by the time they got the check to me I had paid for books etc.)
That's one nice looking bike !!!

@TX650A919 Van Islander Really nice work, it came out beautifully. Totally agree with the comment about the color....I didn't love it when I got the bike, but the Cinnamon Brown grows on you...That paint looks really slick. Congrats on the build and first start-up!
@Jim Yes, my original build thread was all done post hoc....although my 750 BBK upgrade last winter was in real-time. I was trying to get the resto all done in one winter so it was several months of planning and research and then a full-on blitz to the finish-line.

If the internal control wiring is stock then good chance they are Honda bars. Just a guess.

On the timing problem search here for cam timing. there are photos that show the proper cam position .

Jack

Last edited:
ebuild some Corvair engines

Just catching up on this - and WOW - what a pretty bike Van Islander! You certainly have done a fine job on her and I'll bet you are going to have some great rides. I can tell you are in BC because in every outside shot, it is either raining or has just rained :rolleyes: - so keep those tire pressure in good order.

Another thing that caught my eye was you remark about Corvair engines - my first car was a 1965 Corsa 140 hp - which I had to rebuild and then pull the engine to change a bad ring gear.

Anyhow - keep those photos coming - she looks super!

Pete

Thanks guys. It's been a fun project and it's not over. I'll get to current time soon. Raymond, the bars do look similar for sure. Are yours from a Honda? To clarify, I got the bike running ok, without too many problems with timing. I did have issues with the mechanical advance, which I'll describe in an upcoming post. Max Pete - a 140 Corsa as a first car must have been a handful! I could go on and on about Corvairs but that's another forum :) Yes, good rain tires a must! We get caught in rain too many times here.

So at the end of May 2020, this was the bike, and I still had my Honda. I got the bike insured in June 2020 and got on the road!

20200531 the newer and older.jpg
20200610_165739.jpg

Summer 2020 - I sold my Honda 919 and bought a new Suzuki DR650 and went on a big trip with my riding buddies and didn't ride the TX too often. As I did ride it, I realized all wasn't so good. It had some thrashy sounds coming from the engine which were not there when in neutral. Long story short - I had to completely rebuild the clutch, which ultimately included new steel and friction plates, and new cush springs. I had not investigated anything to do with the clutch when I rebuilt the top end, and wished I had when I took the clutch basket off and saw the damage to the bottom end. Sorry, but I hijacked an older thread back then and asked about this rather than starting a new one. The clutch info is found here:
http://www.xs650.com/threads/clutch-hub-cushion-spring-rebuild-w-pics.40984/
starting at post #10. TwoManyXS1Bs and 5twins were so helpful then - thanks again!
After all of this, the clutch worked great.

Back